Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found.'  (Read 10911 times)

youiscrazygurl

Ha. I'm sick of seeing this message.
 Alright, here goes the long-winded explanation.

Computer make & model : Compaq Presario 1200T
Model # : 12XL4
RAM : 318MB
Network Card : WPC54G
Router : WRT54G

In the past I have been able to connect to any wireless internet problem-free. Upon moving into my new home I cannot connect. The internet IS encrypted, but I have input the information in dozens of times correctly and cannot seem to connect to the internet, although it is finding the access point with 90% signal strength. I have been through shoddy technical support a few times to no avail. I have run cmd and ipconfigged the heck out of it only getting the error message "No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP"....whatever that means. I honestly can not get customer/tech support to tell me what that even means. Not being computer savvy enough to resolve this problem after 2 months has frustrated me terribly. One person suggested that I install XP and try to reinstall the WPC54G's drivers, however this computer operates VERY well with Windows 2000 on it and does not meet the minimum requirements to run heXP. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

-Elana-

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Hi Elana.

Have you tried the Microsoft advice? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886223
    You may seek for more information on any search engine with the message you told us: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP (search engines: altavista, google, askme, yahoo etc).

I didn't see that type of error until now, I can't give you an advice based on experience regarding this particular problem. Their answer is pretty simple: uninstall the drivers, reinstall the drivers.

By the way: "If above two don’t work, it may be the hardware issue. Try another slot or another NIC."

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      "No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP"....whatever that means.

TCP/IP is a protocol for networking.  It's to do with IP addresses and how things communicate.

IP addresses to computers are like phone numbers to houses.  Each one needs a different number.  They're broken down into 4 sections, and look like this: 198.162.0.1

Now what DHCP is, is a way for the network to automatically configure all the computers that are connected to it, so they all have unique IP addresses.

So, with that said, it appears your Network Interface Card (NIC for short) (or USB Dongle, or how ever you connect to the network) isn't configured to allow the DHCP to assign the computers address.

Now I've not really dealt with Win2000, but in XP it's controlled under Network Connections, in the Control Panel, and you right click the desired network and select properties.  Then in the scroll down box you scroll to "TCP/IP" and click the Properties button...and the options are there to set it up for auto-config.

Like I said, I don't know too much about Win2000, but someone will do if you can wait.

In the mean time, try using another method, or a similar device to try and connect...I was t/s'ing at a friends house, and swapped the device over and it worked first time.