Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 questions actually...  (Read 4918 times)

charleyd

2 questions actually...
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
I have a dell dimension 1100. it has an INTEL PRO/100 ADAPTER NDIS... Does this card have wireless capabilities? My uncle mentioned that most new computers have built in wireless.  Also, I got a Belkin wireless router but was not aware that the other computer requires a wireless g usb adapter... does anyone no where I can get one of these cheap... second hand is fine... im in canada by the way.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: 2 questions actually...
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »
    Most newer laptops come with built in wireless capabilities. To my knowledge it is still far from standard equipment in a desktop.
    The Intel card do not support wireless, it is a standard Ethernet NIC. If the computer had wireless capabilities it would be on a separate card or usb device. It appears the only wireless option available from Dell for the dimension 1100 was an USB adapter. You would probably have noticed if you had one sticking out of an USB port. :)

Regarding buying a wireless adapter. I would suggest you buy one from Belkin. It is always a good idea to get one of the same brand as the router. It usually avoids incompatibility issues. Wireless USB devices should be pretty cheap (they are where I live at least) so I would get a new one. But I don't know the specific situation in Canada nor any good places to buy one.
    But hang tight, hopefully someone else will. :)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

litespeed14

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:02:34 AM »
      According to the factory model with no mods. It does not have a wireless card, unless someone installed after purchase. It does hv the 10/100 LAN Card.

I agree that the Belkin wireless G @ 54mbs would work fine for you as long as your with in 300ft of your router (Max Dist & Highest Signal). I have the same PCI-e card in one of my desktops. Rarely any trouble. Be sure to remember to load the driver before installing the card. May have to reset router (unplug for 10seconds).

carefull when inside the case, remember to ground yourself on the frame before touching anything. Do this every time to discharge any ESD before touching any part of the inside of your computer.

-J

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
        300 feets? Hm... Are you sure about that length? I would say at most half of what you said: 40 meters or 120-150 feets, let's round. With the distance increase the wireless signal decrease and also the network speed is reduced.

[LE]
        feets=feet :( My apologies for this.
        [/LE]
        « Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 02:43:29 AM by viking »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
        300 feet is the maximum theoretical length of a segment of Cat 5.  Coincidence?   ;)
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos