Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CentOs Linux  (Read 4617 times)

jerryheavyarms

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
    • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
  • Experience: Beginner
CentOs Linux
« on: February 16, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
Hi Guys!

Good day!

Im definitely quite new to Linux. Im kinda experimenting with it using CentOs 4.4 distro. I was succesfull installing it to this old PC we have in our office.

My problem is.. how can i join this linux computer to our office network? Everytime I plug the network cable, it is able to obtain an IP address but I cannot see this computer.

Any help will be appreciated...Thanks in advance!! More power to Computer Hope!
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

jerryheavyarms

Topic Starter

Apprentice

problem in networking CentOs Linux station
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
Hi Guys!

Good day!

Im definitely quite new to Linux. Im kinda experimenting with it using CentOs 4.4 distro. I was succesfull installing it to this old PC we have in our office.

My problem is.. how can i join this linux computer to our office network? Everytime I plug the network cable, it is able to obtain an IP address but I cannot see this computer.

Any help will be appreciated...Thanks in advance!! More power to Computer Hope!

note: I repost this because im afraid my subject wont get any replies at all... it doesn't indiacate something... sorry!!!
"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
--Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: CentOs Linux
    « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:12:25 AM »
    You may have to wait a while for replies. It is not unusual to wait several hours or even a day for a reply, especially in the weekends.
    You will have to have Samba installed and configured in order for the linux machine to be able to see Windows shares and vice versa. It is installed by default on many Linux distros but I have no idea if this is also the case for CentOS.
    If it isnt, you can get it from here along with instruction on how to install it.
    http://samba.org/

But if it was me I would go to the official CentOS forum for more info on CentOS and Samba. There will be a lot more people with in depth knowledge of CentOS than here.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jerryheavyarms

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »
    Sorry bout that..i just remember that when posting you should be as specific as possible esp. on the subject field... ;D

BTW, thanks for the reply. Ill try to visit the site... ;D
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
      You're more than welcome. :)
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)