Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual-wire internet on same computer?  (Read 3716 times)

DivineRage002

Topic Starter

Rookie

Dual-wire internet on same computer?
    « on: January 24, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »
    I've heard that since my motherboard has two internet plugs on it, I could plug two wires in and dedicate them to in/out seperately, largely increasing my connection speed. Is this true?

If yes, how do I do this? Simply plug them in the motherboard and in the router?

My motherboard is an ASUS P5N32-E-SLI.

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Dual-wire internet on same computer?
      « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:10 AM »
      Your internet connection is most likely a lot slower than the max speed of even one Ethernet card. (Unless you happen to have a 100+ mbps internet connection.)
      If this is the case your speed limitation is not your Ethernet port, but your internet connection. The only way to increase that speed is to order a faster connection from your ISP.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        Re: Dual-wire internet on same computer?
        « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:25:05 AM »
        Routing. Operating system that supports routing (Linux, Unix, Windows Server operating systems).

The increase is not dramatical, Deerpark advised you well. For small companies/home connections to have more than one connection is a brag - unless you have an 24/24 available Internet server in your LAN and you need redundant connections to internet.