Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98SE always starts in Safe Mode  (Read 4957 times)

garysimpson

Win98SE always starts in Safe Mode
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:26:24 AM »
Can anyone help? My PC will only start in Safe Mode... problem arose after loading some software. Through Safe Mode I've been able to delete the software and restore the registry (with scanreg /restore) and there are no conflicts in device manager... but now every time the computer boots, it restarts itself then enters safe mode.

Any suggestions welcome...

Computer_Commando

Re: Win98SE always starts in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 08:56:37 AM »
Reinstall Win98SE.  It won't delete any of your applications or personal files.

garysimpson

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:55:20 PM »
Hi - yes, tried reinstalling Win98SE again but no joy. The computer crashed just before completing the installation, and comes up with "Windows protection error. Press any key to continue..." and then shuts down.

I'm still able to start up in safe mode, but that's all. So far I've checked for conflicts in control panel/device manager - seems OK - and checked SFC.exe - this states that one file, setupx.dll may be corrupted and suggests re-installing from the installation disk.

However, even using the Win98 boot up disk (and ext) to access my Win98 SE CD-ROM, I cannot find the file in the cabinet files of d:\win98 to reinstall the file. Computer says the file does not exist.

Grateful for any ideas anyone can suggest!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
    garysimpson....I was doing a bit of research re your issue and found this ......it seems to apply to yours ...
    http://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?cat=1300&id=916
    Have you had any problems with viruses recently ?
    let us know......

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.