Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microphone not working controls greyed out - Dell XPS M140  (Read 9738 times)

- chase -

Microphone not working controls greyed out - Dell XPS M140
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Hi - could use some help with this

Dell XPS M140

1.73 Ghz 800mHz 2gig ram

Win xP Media edition 2002 Sp2 -  fresh install (Dell version and it states Mdia Edition 2005 on the install DVD)
all updates fresh today - additional software Flash Player 9 - and Sun Java and .Net framework v3 Cine Player with updates (dell)

Dell drivers installed with the exception of some BS ones like Dell support and update stuff from dell and other softwware i didn't need

I had these and many other issues prior to this re-install - i fixed most but desided to re-insstall hoping it would fix these issues - but it didn't.

Problem) the mic for recording controls are greyed out and all the way down - i have no way to raise or control the volume so i can use the mic. Seen Below:

Sigmatel HD Audio Driver Codec controls are also - well - just missing nevere there i guess. this is a Dell driver update too.

The other major issue i had prior to this install is i couldn't get the DVD to burn anything - not CD or DVD - i hven't check that yet - i wanted to fix this first

one thing at a time

if there is more info you need - let me know i'll post it

Well - any ideas as how to correct  this issue?

tia
chase

Ps - i'm going to be using this comp for an Audio/2D Graphics/video work station, some flash and website dev - as much as it's capable of  that is.

Proimary Software will be Reason 3 - Fruity Loops -  the Gimp - at this point sao any tweaks you can offer after fixing these issues would help. I've done no tweaks at thiss point except run for Preformance checked off.

thanx

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Microphone not working controls greyed out - Dell XPS M140
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
Those controls can't be used on every system. There's no problem there.

I do see your problem though, see under Microphone slider in Recording Control? You need to check the box that says 'Select'