Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WLAN stopped working  (Read 3907 times)

karinms

Topic Starter

Rookie

• My Page on the Net
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
WLAN stopped working
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:30:09 AM »
I have a Packard Bell laptop (2yo) with a WLAN that stopped working after a Windows Update and a reboot about 30 min ago. I'm currently using an Ethernet Cable. Neither the router nor my laptop has moved. I haven't installed anything new.

The connection indicator has a big red X over it. It can't find any networks nearby. The WLAN says it's connected but it also has a big red X over it and I can't repair it. When checking with ipconfig it says my Ethernet card is disconnected but when I check the managment console it says it's working.

I've had this problem before (happened exactly the same way too) but got it fixed later on when I had my mothercard changed/repaired. The WLAN-problem is mentioned in the papers but I have no idea what they did to fix it. It wasn't a big deal back then since I just switched to using a cable but now I'm wondering if it's something I can to do fix it myself. I've searched this Forum but didn't find anything to match my problem.

EDIT: The updates were: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (KB929300).
I'm using Intel(R)PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:31:22 AM by karinms »
---<-<-@

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: WLAN stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
You mentioned that the WLAN says it's connected but has a big red x over it?  Is that in device manager, or in network connections?  Check device manager to make sure it is enabled  and working properly.

karinms

Topic Starter

Rookie

• My Page on the Net
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »
The device manager says it's working, there's no red X there unless I manually turn it off.
The network connections says it's connected but not available (hence the red X). The repair doesn't work; it says it can't finish the repairs because it can't establish a connection.
It can't establish a connection because it can't find a close enough network to connect to. The network/router is in the other room but I can put the d-link right next to me and it won't be picked up.
---<-<-@

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:23:28 PM »
I just realized you mentioned it's an intel card.  Check to see if you have an intel pro set wireless (or something like that... some type of software utility to run your wireless).  I have seen intel and windows fight each other for control of the wireless device.  That could be your issue.

karinms

Topic Starter

Rookie

• My Page on the Net
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
I've got it to work! Finally and THANK YOU!  ;D

Here's what I did:
Ok, I looked for that Intel Connection Software and found both it and a new driver for my card on its site.  :)

After installation:
When I tried to activate the IC Software it said I needed to do it manually first. That meant hitting Fn+F1 (took a while to figure that out).

I also stopped and inactivated the Wireless Zero Configuration (because it's run by Windows) found in Control panel -> Admin tools -> Service (or whatever the correct English words are, I'm Swedish).

I activated the ICS again, which worked for about a second. I tried to repair the wireless connection, which worked. The Intel(R) PROSet then found the network and I got connected.

Happy, happy me.
---<-<-@

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:33:26 AM »
Good, I'm glad you were able to get it working.  Those wlan cards can be tricky, especially if they have a keyboard shortcut to disable/enable them.