Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIN 98  (Read 5433 times)

oldmum40

WIN 98
« on: January 09, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »
just one more quick question please...

Ihave a new pent 4 puter...3 days old..and it is running xp prof....

is there any reason that i cant replace that with WIN98 if i have to reformate it (previous question on not being able to auto delete)

I love win98..and HATE xp prof...yes it is cos i dont know it..but it seems to me you have to have a degree to understand xp where win98 i taught myself and know it fairly well...

I know most puter buffs love versions of win2000...but if it is simply a matter of perfrence..i would prefer win98

is there a reason why i cant have win98 back please???

mum

Computer_Commando

Re: WIN 98
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 04:30:04 PM »
You can make WinXP look just like Win98.  Right-click Start, select Properties, choose Classic Start Menu, then select Customize, check all that you want.

oldmum40

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 04:47:14 PM »
Hi C.C.

yes..i have done that..but there are hundreds (it seems tome) more files to wade around when i want to change settings and such...

I dont want different users...

and i like win98 :'(

is there any good reason i shouldnt have it again..cept it is getting old..and win200 versions do more things i dont need anyeays???

mum

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 01:38:31 PM »
I have a triple boot computer, so I can compare the three OS:  Win2k-Pro, Win98SE, WinXP-Pro.

Win2k and WinXP are significantly faster than Win98, even on an "old" machine (PIII-450).  They are more stable and almost never crash.  Microsoft almost ended support for Win98 (which they are sure to do in another year or two).

If you still like Win98, create a dual-boot, and choose which OS you want when the computer turns on.