Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 24 second shot clock using D Flip-Flop  (Read 16670 times)

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

24 second shot clock using D Flip-Flop
    « on: January 30, 2008, 07:39:34 AM »
    how can i make 24-second shot clock using D Flip-Flop?
    any help please.
     :'(

homer

Expert
      Re: 24 second shot clock using D Flip-Flop
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:44 PM »
      is this a clocked D Flip-Flop?

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »
        yes. do you have any idea?
        pls anyone  there...pls help

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »
          one more question, do you want the clock to recycle at 25 or freeze until the reset button is pushed?

*EDIT*
          also, you didnt quite specify, do you want the schematics?
          « Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:38:14 PM by homer »

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »
            like the 24-second shot clock in regular game. i can reset it to 24 seconds, and i can pause the clock then resume.

*EDIT*
            also, you didnt quite specify, do you want the schematics?
            i want the schematic too.

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:59:29 PM »
              ok, give me a day or two to review my labs. i need to relearn this stuff from about 6 years ago.

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 03:17:47 AM »
                oh really? you already know this?? cool...ok,ill wait for your reply.... thank you very much   ;D ;D ;D

homer

Expert
                  « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
                  upon reviewing my labs, i realized that we used JK flip flops. a D type should still work, but is it possible to use JK flip flops instead?

and one more question, if you have to use the D flip flop, you said it was clocked, can i assume that it also has a set and a reset feature?

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
                    if you have to use the D flip flop, you said it was clocked, can i assume that it also has a set and a reset feature?

what is the use of set and reset in D-FF? can i ask if what software are you using to see the output of the circuit? because we are using MULTISIM to simulate a circuit. and i also trying  to get the equations needed to get the right output. i am using 6variables K-mapping. do you think, i am using the right way?

homer

Expert
                      « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 01:39:23 AM »
                      what is the use of set and reset in D-FF?

the reset is exactly what it means, if the CLR on the flip flop receives a low, it will reset to 0, regarding the set, i have no idea as all of our sets go straight to +5V.

below is a schematic for a 0-99 continuous, recycling, counter. its messy, i made it in MS paint  :P

this setup will recycle at 99.  to get it to recycle at 24, you need to setup the NAND gates A+B inputs differently. if i remember correctly, you will need to set the TENS NAND gate A and B inputs to the B and A output of the flip flops. for the ONES NAND gate, you will need to set the A and B inputs to the A and C outputs of the flip flops. if you need the schematics for the 4 X 7476 flip flops just ask, for they are actually 4 separate flip flops just drawn as one box for simplicity.

can i ask if what software are you using to see the output of the circuit?

i never used any software, i always used the hardware.

and i also trying  to get the equations needed to get the right output

i have a chart. see below and yes, its another messy MS paint pic.

i am using 6variables K-mapping.

i have no idea what this means, is this something to do with the software?

*EDIT*

i will draw up some schematics for a self-stopping counter that will stop at 24 tomorrow.

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]
                      « Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:04:39 AM by homer »

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 02:53:21 AM »
                        what is the effect if i will use set and reset in D FF or not?

below is a schematic for a 0-99 continuous, recycling, counter
                        why 0-99? and not 99-0?

this setup will recycle at 99.  to get it to recycle at 24
                        why do we need to jump to 99 to get it recycle to 24? is it possible that after reset the count will jump directly to 24?

if you need the schematics for the 4 X 7476 flip flops just ask, for they are actually 4 separate flip flops just drawn as one box for simplicity.
                        can i see the schematic for 4x7476?

dude, your so kind... thank you for helping me....  8)

homer

Expert
                          « Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »
                          alright, im downloading MULTISIM to see if i can construct a 24-0 countdown timer. i have never had a lab where we had to pause the display and recycle it manually, so i will have to do a bit of tinkering.

homer

Expert
                            « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »
                            hmmm, so far i have been unsuccessful at even reproducing the same results i got when i actually wired the device. this leads me to believe i am leaving something out or configuring something wrong when i make the schematic in multisim. i will need a bit longer to figure out how to correctly use multisim.

homer

Expert
                              « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »
                              i have not been able to successfully get the timer to count down from 9-0. i need to know of a way to filter out the hexidecimal because my timer counts as follows...

F,E,D,C,B,A,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0.

meanwhile here is a schematic of what i have so far. i am currently trying to configure only one display to start with.

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

jhay_e03

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »
                                if im not mistaken...in 9-0 down counter, we will use here the "don't care condition" to ignore the F-A.