Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows98  (Read 7833 times)

Zodiac_wizard

Windows98
« on: January 10, 2005, 08:40:03 PM »
I am trying to install windows 98 on a used machine that had windows NT on it after I bought it I tryed to boot it up and got a message(insert bootable media in the appropriate drive) and it just sits there so I am guessing the harddrive has been whiped clean considering it wuz a medical computer so I decided I would get out my boot disk and just install Windows 98 over it well it scans the registry and then it pops a message You have hpfs or ntfs installed on your harddrive you need to create a ms dos boot partition to set up windows I need to know how this is done?
Thank you

merlin_2

Re: Windows98
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:09:01 PM »
download a boot floppy from bootdisks.com and format the hard drive>>>more info here>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000186.htm

Zodiac_wizard

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 06:06:53 PM »
I hace tried the format C: command typed/read as such
(A:\format C:\s also tried A:\format C: it says I cannot do that

SKy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 06:15:35 AM »
Hi Zodiac,

this is most likely because your harddisk is formatted as NTFS, while the boot disk you use is can only recognise FAT partition.

Note: there are a few types of partition format. win98 can use either FAT16 or FAT32. WinNT is using either NTFS or HPFS. Win98 is not unalble to read NTFS nor HPFS format.

You will need to get an NTFS boot disk and try to boot up with it. You can either create an NTFS bootdisk from a windows 2000 computer or try to create 1 using resources from the internet.

cheers

Zodiac_wizard

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 05:21:28 PM »
Last night I got frustrated with it I wuz thinking I have installed windows a few times what the @#$% is wrong so I got out the screwdriver and opened it up, figured out why it asked for bootable media and wouldn't load windows it had no harddrive installed.
Why would a computer have no harddrive?

Doomsday_J

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 12:12:24 PM »
Last night I got frustrated with it I wuz thinking I have installed windows a few times what the @#$% is wrong so I got out the screwdriver and opened it up, figured out why it asked for bootable media and wouldn't load windows it had no harddrive installed.
Why would a computer have no harddrive?

Perhaps it was once part of a network where it got all of the imformation it needed from a server. If it came from a hopiotal, that sounds logical.

MalikTous

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 01:53:11 PM »
The hospital must've been real concerned about patient records or something and either slave-mounted the HD in a new machine or chucked it in the incinerator to protect their liability. Go to PriceWatch.com and get a nice 40 to 120 GB drive cheap.

spawn7037

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 06:28:12 PM »
Sounds like the hospital just tryied to rip you off.  Keep your eye on Best Buy ads.  This time of the year you should be able to find a Hard drive for cheap.  Or you can go to a resale store that carries used units.

good luck