Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing windows vista  (Read 2884 times)

cheese11

Topic Starter

Rookie

installing windows vista
    « on: January 31, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »
    Hey guys I wiped my HD and am ready to install either vista home premium or business since I have both.But these are vista installation dvds and this old computer only has  a cd-rom drive what should I do?

Should I maybe download vista off piratesbay and put it on a cd them install it and use the installation keys I have from buying it?

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: installing windows vista
      « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
      Should I maybe download vista off piratesbay and put it on a cd them install it and use the installation keys I have from buying it?
      I wouldn't do that personally but not because of the legality question (honestly, as long as you use a legit license I don't think Microsoft cares how you acquired the disc).
      But the problem is that the pirated copies are most likely patched to disable the activation and other anti-piracy features. So you risk being marked as a pirate if Microsoft ever begins to check for these patches. It is probably not a huge risk but it is there. There is also the question of how well the patch was made, will it break in a future update, will it cause system instability, and so on....

How about buying a DVD drive for the machine? You can get a basic DVD-ROM drive for 15$ on newegg and a DVD burner for 25$.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
        Even Wal Mart has DVD drives. 
        Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:56:11 AM »
        this old computer only has  a cd-rom drive what should I do?
        How old is that computer?  Have you looked at the system requirements for Vista?  I suggest you download Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor to verify that computer can run Vista before proceeding with this.