Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista laptop registry files  (Read 2933 times)

prepone

Vista laptop registry files
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
I've been using Crap Cleaner for many many years, on my other home computers and I love it.

Having just bought a new Toshiba Vista laptop, I downloaded Crap Cleaner.
My question is: on the "issues" button, I've got tons and tons of registry files that Crap Cleaner has identified as invalid.
And of course very little info is displayed, so I'm wondering how safe it would be to start deleting some of these files.

Frankly it's amazing how many of these reg files appear, I've not done massive amounts of downloading and then un installing software on this laptop.

I certinaly don't want to delete someting that would screw up my laptop, should I start by deleting a few at a time (and backing them up to the desktop) in case they need to be merged back?

In advance,
Thanks

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: Vista laptop registry files
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »
    It's always a good idea to make backups of the registry whenever you're messing with it, and safety never hurt anyone. 

That being said, make sure whichever version of crap cleaner you've got is meant to work with Vista.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »
    It's always a good idea to make backups of the registry whenever you're messing with it, and safety never hurt anyone. 

That being said, make sure whichever version of crap cleaner you've got is meant to work with Vista.

Ignore this advice...as long as you have the CCleaner settings at default it automaticallt backs up the Registry...
    What issues are you having by the way ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

prepone

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
    Well, I'm not having any major issues, but have to say I've got hundreds and hundreds of supposed error registry files on my laptop.

I'm finding these reg files with various programs (Crap Cleaner & Clary Utilities)
    I like both of those......but it seems like there are just a vast amount of reg files for such a new machine. (laptop)
    I'm assuming the correct way would to select a few at a time and then start deleting them backing up (just in case)

I will say this much, I'm NOT crazy about Vista!
    I've owned every windows system form the very begining, Vista is painfully an odd duck.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
    I like both tools, CCleaner, and Glary Utilities, and I've never had any problem with either of them on any computer I owned.
    Run CCleaner (it makes its own backup), use computer for couple of days. If everything is fine, run Glary.
    I have to tell you this...When I bought my Vista (which, contrary to you, I like), I did a lot of cleaning to get rid of preinstalled crap, and obviously, I installed a set of my favorite programs.
    When I was done, I had tons of registry leftovers, detected by CCleaner, and Glary.