Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 16 bit application stops responding (wowexec.exe)  (Read 11402 times)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    16 bit application stops responding (wowexec.exe)
    « on: January 11, 2005, 10:07:59 AM »
    I use Win2000 professional.

When I extract a ZIP-file with WinZIP self-extractor, the program freezes / blocks. I had a similar problem before, in the case that the program stops responding when trying to run a 16-bit application.

In the task manager, the wowexec.exe was activated each time, so I suppose it has something to do with that. Maybe it is corrupt, can I reinstall this?

Or has this got anything to do with the NTVDM.exe in the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder?
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 07:02:03 PM by burton »

merlin_2

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      Re: 16 bit application stops responding (wowexec.e
      « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:55:49 AM »
      Thanks for the link, but no specific help on my problem found.

I have contacted DELL and XEROX and we have tried several solutions, including a Intel Chipset update.
      They have advised to reinstall Windows 2000, but that is an easy way out of the problem! They told me to do that once before, when finally I was able to correct a bad setting in the CONTROL PANEL - ADMINISTRATION - SERVICES folder.

Thats where I would like to continue this problem, so can somebody inform me where the 16-bit applications are listed within the SERVICES? (re: wowexec/NTVDM)

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:53:45 AM »
        Otherwise, if noone knows how to find the 16-bit configuration support in Win2000, does anybody know a website or forum that can discuss or explain the funtions of SERVICES in Win2000?

merlin_2

burton

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
          Thanks, but I think the problem is solved here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196453/EN-US/

Will let you know next week if otherwise  ;)