Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Shut down immediately without Prior Warning  (Read 9692 times)

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer Shut down immediately without Prior Warning
    « on: February 03, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
    Hi, Every Computer Experts available here

I am Tan.

Recently i was experiencing that Computer Shut down immediately without Prior Warning, only during playing computer games and sometimes during viewing Movie/DVD.

and,
    i have no problem when surfing net and running microsoft office.

This sound weird to me after looking at this forum on "Computer Shut down without Prior Warning", as i basically don't know what happen even with the help on that page.

For your info, my laptop have power supply issues before hand and i have change a new power supply to continue work with this laptop.

recently i have add another new 512MB ram to this 256 MB RAMed laptop. I don't see this as hardware conflict problem as i have this problem before i upgrade the RAM.

and, believe me; the device manager shown no conflict and all hardware are up to date.

Operating system seem no problem for me as win ME and Win XP have the same problems, and i have updated all recently update include the security update (latest at Nov 2007)

Another well noted things is i have change the page file to start from 1000MB to have better performance

and now i am using directX 9.0C, which i believe will not be the root cause as i have the problem before this was introduced

My laptop is the very early version from Hyundai or M-life with pentium4 2.4Ghz, SIS 650 Graphic, AC97 Audio and 30 GB harddisk

can anyone tell me what is going wrong? if it was hardware problem, what is the specific hardware that cause this?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer Shut down immediately without Prior Warning
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
    It sounds like your computer is overheating, have you cleaned it out recently?
    Contact your laptop manufacturer and see what they say about how to clean your laptop.
    Dust buildup can cause excess heat to be kept, causing your computer to overheat, and shut down or restart.

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 04:05:23 AM »
      after doing that, i notice that one of the fan malfunctioned, now try to search for spare part

Brushless motor model: DFB400805M90T on top of SIS graphic card

Anyhow, thanks for the help

Emmm... where can i find those???

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »
        I have replace the fan with a good one, the problem still exist, did i have any more option?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »
          What kind of fan did you replace it with?
          Did you replace fan+heatsink or just the fan?
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:37:05 AM »
            i replace the fan only, the fan is exactly same as the original

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 05:16:15 AM »
              Here is the new update

i run a memory test, it shut down before finish; but nothings shown bad before the computer shutdown immediately (around 115% of the free RAM for the memtest program)
              the CPU benchmark program alo run half way and shutdown immediately

After the 1st shutdown, 2nd shutdown come faster than before (if i restart the computer immediately after the 1st shutdown)

My computer did not shut down during safemode, but it wasn't during office application in normal mode either

what should i do? Please help out....

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
                Still sounds like an overheating issue.
                After it shuts down power it back up and enter the bios. There should be a section that reports the CPU temp.

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 06:15:17 PM »
                  "After the 1st shutdown, 2nd shutdown come faster than before (if i restart the computer immediately after the 1st shutdown)"

sometimes the computer turn off 2nd time before enter BIOS (no chance to enter safemode)

For the CPU temperature, it was same before & After (before shutdown & After shutdown in BIOS), Around 70 celcius to 90 Celcius, is this temperature normal?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                    • Yes
                    • Technology News and Information
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »
                  90 Celsius is 194 degrees Fahrenheit, which is a VERY abnormal temperature for your CPU.

I urge you to avoid using your computer until the issue is resolved.

Deerpark

Egghead
                    « Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »
                    Yes 70-90 degrees celsius is smoking hot. The reason your computer is shutting down is because the CPU is hitting its max operating temperature (around 90). Like Zylstra I would also urge you not to use the computer before this overheating is resolved.

Is the fan on the CPU cooler working?
                    Have you removed the cooler recently?

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
                      Hi, Thanks for the advice. I will take note on that.

The laptop have two fan, one directly above SIS 650 graphic chipset, one located on the open area between processor and graphic chipset;and no fan exactly above processor (they are just plain heatsink above the processor), did this create a problem?

p/s: the cooling fan is working well to-date after the 1st changes done

Did you all heard about problem on M-life laptop? as the heat out from the laptop is higher than expected even at the 1st time i buy and use the computer (you will feel hot air come out when you put your hand nearby the air vent), my fren did comment on that when compare with others brand