Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Losing Key Packets"  (Read 8272 times)

Hav0k.EXE

"Losing Key Packets"
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »
Hey all.

I really didn't know where to put this, it's a mix of game/networking.

But, hear me out please  ;)

Recently I have been experiencing kicks from CoD4 servers due to punkbuster's message "Losing Key Packets", I searched around the internet and did everything people told me to do..update PB/Manually update PB/Reinstall it/ Check Firewall/ and on and on. I was then pointed in the direction it could either be my IPS's fault or my own.

So... I decided to use PingPlotter to trace a server to see where I was losing the packets,  problem is, I don't really know how to interpret the graph to tell if its my ISPs fault or not.

as it shows, at hop 10 I get a 100% packet loss, which causes kicks in online gaming.

My question again - Is it my fault - or my ISPs?

or

Is this even the way to be going to solve my packet problem? I'm really impared when it comes to stuff like this.

I can answer any questions if necessary.

Thanks
-Mike

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: "Losing Key Packets"
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »
    What happens when you ping 127.0.0.1 and the internal address given by the router?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
      There are servers that don't respond to traceroute (or similar, like tracert in windows) or ping commands. It does not matter if that server (router, gateway) does not respond to you, he is still receiving and routing your packets. It is important to check if the game servers receive your messages.

I don't know what is PB.
      What network equipment is between your computer and ISP equipment?

Hav0k.EXE

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
      What happens when you ping 127.0.0.1 and the internal address given by the router?

Alan <><  :D
      There are servers that don't respond to traceroute (or similar, like tracert in windows) or ping commands. It does not matter if that server (router, gateway) does not respond to you, he is still receiving and routing your packets. It is important to check if the game servers receive your messages.

I don't know what is PB.
      What network equipment is between your computer and ISP equipment?

Sorry, but could you guys explain your questions a little more? =|

thanks
      -Mike

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:17:52 AM »
        Hop 10 in your previous presentation has no problems, it's not causing any packet drop (or any packet losing, as you want to say).

I can't tell you anything about your ISP, if they filter or limit some network transfers. I don't know. From your traceroute it seems everything works fine.

Do you use a wireless router? Your computer is connected directly to an outside box, is connected to something in your house? ISP gave you an equipment when they came and installed the cable?
        « Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:03:29 PM by viking »

dprobkw

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:09:29 PM »
        I have been having a similar problem.  I checked all lan and wlan devices. Same stuff.  I locked down my lan. Same stuff.. I changed routers/Wifi .. Same stuff. I did some hacking and came up with it appears to be someone trying to hack my Wifi Radio.. I called my wifi broadband provider and they confirmed and upgraded the software on my Radio (the one on my roof) and this appears to have slowed the packet loss!?  Any other Ideas from anyone?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:57:21 AM »
          Don't use wireless for online gaming would be my best advice.
          Even when you have perfect connection conditions it is not uncommon for wireless networks to drop a few packets every now and then. This isn't noticeable during online browsing since the browser will simply wait while the packets are resent.
          Real time online games can't wait for dropped packets to be resent so here you will either experience a lag or a disconnection.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)