Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slow internet speed...  (Read 9291 times)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: slow internet speed...
    « Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 01:54:50 PM »
    Hello

I have done a free test on that speed test site and got these results

Communications 34.1 kilobits per second
    Storage 4.2 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 4.1 minutes
    Subjective rating Slow

Should the ISP provide a quicker connection, i mean is it their fault or my computer?

If you have a dial up connection ...then thats not bad .....however if you have a Cable or DSL connection ....somethings wrong.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 02:12:22 PM »
      I contacted my isp and they say I am downloading at good speed and there is nothing wrong with my connection that it must be a hardware problem... I have never heard of a hardware problem causing the failure to load pages (except where the hdd needs a clean up)...
      So now Im at a loss as to what I can do... :( :-/

Well ....I don't know what to tell you other than we both have DSL connections ...look at the differance between our D/L tests.......You say you have defragged your hard drive , emptied your temp files , dumped your history files .......Do you have lots of space available on your hard drive ? You could try shutting down your firewall just to check , but I don't think its effecting your d/L speed .......Do you have any other scanners which may be running and slowing down your D/l ?

What download speed did your ISP tell you they are delivering ? You also have to remember that your ISP help or tech support may not be staffed by people who really know anything .........They have a book ......and they ask you some questions and then based on your reply open the book and recite whatevers there .......and they will usually try and suggest the problem is yours not theirs .
      let us know

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 02:16:08 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

sadik

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 01:51:12 AM »
      hey, whenever  u delete temp and cookies restart the
      computer and check the cpu usage thats by pressing ctrl+alt +del ,click task manager and select performance tab , see how many % usage and let me know that.