Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Annoying when I boot up  (Read 21828 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Annoying when I boot up
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »
Yeah, 1GB of RAM would be great, 512MB, I'd call a good minimum. Go to www.crucial.com, and check the prices.

As for your pop-ups....Do you have pop-up blocker on in Internet Explorer?
On the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Turn On Pop-up Blocker

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »
    I don't know if you are going to see this since we are tech. finished but first that annoying home page seems to have gone for now but my wife mostly and somewhat me feel that this computer still is slow and especially my wifes Yahoo email.  Loging in is not to much a problem but when it comes to opening up an email she and I wait and we wait and we wait.  So for now we just give up on Yahoo.  Now is there something bad about Yahoo email?  I heard that Yahoo is nortourius for spyware etc.  Is this true?  Next week or sooner I am thinking about learning all about formating this XP myself, because "I WILL NOT SPEND $99 + TX" to have some repair place do it.  This very site computer hope has a section on reformating and I printed it out and it seems straight forward.  If I can clean out the sectors etc. and hopely do it right I will see if this lower speed with this phone company is worth it.  I have done speed tests and I should be getting 250 Kilo bits  and the last time I did a speed tests it was 156.5.  and the center where they, the phone company is just down the street.  So what is your take on all this.  I could wait for the format until next weekend because my daughters boyfriend is coming down from Texas for a brithday, daughters, and he built her a computer which will be very fast and we could hook hers up to this set up and see the difference if at all.

thefonz ???

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
    Now is there something bad about Yahoo email?  I heard that Yahoo is nortourius for spyware etc.  Is this true?
    Never heard of it...

Try one more thing...
    Download, and install TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    Open it, and put a checkmark in Optimal Settings. Click Apply changes button.
    Restart computer, and see if it helped with your speed.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
      That seemed to have worked and I also did something extra.  With CCleaner I configured it to clean automatically and actually I am using everything so when I turn on the computer every morning it is virtually a clean computer and the last time I checked the speed it 271 megabites download when it rated at only 250.

thefonz 8) ;D

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »
      Very nice :)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »
        Mr. Broni,

Where on my XP Home edition can I find out what kind of a video card I have and the drivers.  I see that my brother when he had this computer had it said to automatically check for up dates everyday at 10am.  Is there a windows default driver on this computer incase I really do not have a diver at all?

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »
        Where on my XP Home edition can I find out what kind of a video card I have and the drivers.
        Go Start>Run, type in:
        devmgmt.msc
        Click OK.
        Device Manager will open. Look under Display Adapters

I see that my brother when he had this computer had it said to automatically check for up dates everyday at 10am
        Updates for what?

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
          You asked me "Updates for what?"  Well, considering the computer was make in 2001 and I have the origional XP Home edition CD it might have the origional windows driver for whatever the compter needs to work for that period.  I will email him, my brother, and ask if he EVER re-formated years after 2001 which would mean when he formatted he put the origional works back in the computer.  I did notice he had set the computer to automatic check for updates so I would have to give him some credit for that.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »
          Oh, Windows updates...your brother did well.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »
            I think that over all the computer is doing well except the speed is slow but I really think that is what we bought which is the 256 killo speed but when I do a speed check it was the last time 267 upload and 135 down.  Yahoo is just not working right I can get the sight and look at the messages but when I click one it will not open up but then it is the same with the 98se on dial up.  I am going to try dial up with this XP and see if it is the same.

thefonz 8)

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
            Well, you're getting promised speed, so I'm not sure what else can be done...

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »
              Yes, you are right about the speed and I am happy for that and I suppose the sometimes30 second wait for a page to load is just the speed that I have purchased.  That program called Ccleaner is wonderful I have set it up to clean up the computer when I boot up each morning except for the history items but the auto complete seemed to always go also so I need to look into that.

Here is an item that may or may not be nothing.  The AVG virus program.  When I do a virus scan there is this item up at the top that always says the same each and everytime.  I saved it for an attachement for you to observe.  I am only concerned because on the windows 98se AVG that notation at the top is not there so I was wondering if that is a concern especially when it says "Change"  but not much to go on to research this for me though. ;D

thefonz :-\

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 08:26:31 AM »
                 ???I went to look at the post and when I clicked the attachement it first went to a screen for letting me, you know, choose what I want to select to show a protram etc. then when I close out on the pop up it brings me to the attachement I wanted in the first place.  Strange?

thefonz 8) ???

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
                This is normal AVG behaviour...it doesn't happen on the Win98 machine because it may not have a hosts file.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
                  This is normal AVG behaviour...it doesn't happen on the Win98 machine because it may not have a hosts file.
                   because it may not have a hosts file. What is a host file?  Thanks for answering so quickly.

thefonz 8)