Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Problem XP PRO 250GB  (Read 2418 times)

Kyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

Boot Problem XP PRO 250GB
    « on: February 09, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
    Hey this is my first post to this site so please feel free to nag more info out of me if i dont put enough on
    My XP Pro recently got a 250 gb Seagate internal hard drive installed into it, yet it takes around 10 to 15 minutes for it to boot.
    So i decided in the end to have it as a secondary hard drive and have my 80 gb hard drive as a primary. yet when my 250 gb reaches over 91.9 gb full, it will not load anymore data, instead crash and say that i have lost all data that i was moving.
    If anyone knows whats wrong or even advice, it will be well appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Boot Problem XP PRO 250GB
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »
    How is the drive formatted ? ?
    NTFS/FAT32 ?

2 things you can check: First in device manager find the IDE controller and then the drive andd right clik it and select Properties...Report back what mode it is in. If it's PIO mode this will account for the extreme slowness.
    2nd DLoad and run Seatools diagnostics on that drive to determine if it's healthy or not.
    The file is used to create a bootable floppy/CD so you can run it even if Windows won't run.

Report back with your findings...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kyall

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 09:42:34 PM »
      The drive is formatted in NTFS.
      I am not too sure about PIO, it didn't say anything that i could see in the properties about it being PIO so i assume it isn't.
      And i did a short drive disk check and it passed, yet still making my life *censored*!!!, will do a long drive self test after i have finished writing this post.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 12:17:03 PM »
      Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...double click IDE/ATA adaptors to expand it.
      Right click Primary and select Properties...click on the 2nd tab on top. It should read UDMA or DMA mode if available.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "