Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Monitor Screen Very Faint  (Read 3422 times)

chuckieb6

Laptop Monitor Screen Very Faint
« on: February 16, 2008, 05:58:15 AM »
My 5 year old Compac Presario laptop has been sitting in my computer case for about three weeks while using my newer laptop..when I turned it on the screen will not light up.. the desktop is very faint I can hardly see anything and I did try several times to brighten it up using the correct button... I rebooted a couple of times but nothing worked ..any suggesstions ?

I just looked at another site and it seems it may be the Backlight or LCD needs replacing.. anyway to isolate which one may need replacing ???  Thank You!

Dias de verano

Re: Laptop Monitor Screen Very Faint
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:12:36 AM »
Sounds like the backlight... if you shine a light at the screen from the front, does the display look like it is working?

The cost of repair may be greater than its value.

chuckieb6

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:34:31 AM »
Thank You for your reply..

When flashing the light, still can't see much ..

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:43:23 AM »
You won't see a great deal, but if you can make out something, for example the Windows start button down in the bottom left corner, at least you know the LCD panel is working. You wrote that the display is "very faint" and that you can "hardly see anything". If I understand you correctly from that, it sounds like the LCD is still visible but very dark, and that suggests the backlight is not lighting up very brightly.

But it might not just be the backlight lamp itself which is faulty. It could be the cable or the inverter or even the motherboard. You really need to get an diagnosis/estimate from a repair shop.