Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to install win xp  (Read 6048 times)

deokat

unable to install win xp
« on: January 19, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »
back again I would be lost with out you guys on where i left off i was building a PC for my wife the cpu was bad now that is fixed it fires up fine but when i try to install windows after it has been formatted ans starts copying  xp I get ' unable to copy file such and such  hit enter to try again , escape to skip, f3 to abort blah, blah it acts like bit is a bad cd or a cd rom problem I then tried to install win. 2000 it will get so far and it to has problems copying some files they are both older cds and the odds of both of them having spots that are unreadable is slim but with my luck it is possible : (
my question is if my start up is fine i can get into dos with no problems everything seems normals other than my windows problem is it possible that something else is wrong causing it not to be able to copy some files and no problems with other here is what I have tried

1.using a diiffrent cd rom deck that works great in my computer

2. burning a copy of xp to try install from that

3.clean and reclean my cd
is there anything else it could be other than 2 worn out cd's  ????????????????????????????????????? ???

thx

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Re: unable to install win xp
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 01:06:18 PM »
    you can just keep hitting esc. and skip those files.there are about 30 different files but xp will work fine.i dont know the specifics as to why that happens but it does.it happens every time i load xp onto an older copmuter.just skip all of them and install,you wont have any problems with xp
    WRWSS

deokat

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:20:02 PM »
    i tried that but it seems the files I miss are the ones needed to boot xp here are some more developments
    I tried xp in another computer it installed fine  so i will try to install it on my hard drive via the other pc to find out if it is a harddrive issue or maybe he one i built has bad ram, is there any reason why i cant use a HD from a intell in an amd computer? does that matter? is there a diffrent set up as far as jumpers or anything? i will keep you updated

thx

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:28:52 PM »
      Using a hdd from an intel to an amd: which one is older? The "intel" or "amd" (which computer is older?) Because if you just buyed a new hdd and you try to install in an older computer it is very possible to be "invisible". Not other differences. Verify the RAM. Check the cd with the kit (on a computer that works, copy the whole cd -- if no copy errors, than your cd has no problem).

wrwss

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 02:01:22 PM »
        could deffinately be bad ram,also if you try a harddrive with an operating system already on it  the comp might not boot also.check your ram first and make sure you have at least 256.it makes it alot easier.how old is the computer you are trying to install xp on?
        WRWSS

deokat

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 03:20:47 PM »
        it is a new build the HD is about 2 mo old  I have eleminated the HD , the cd drive, and the XP cd I put them back in the pent 3 so she could have a pc while I tried to figure out the problem with it being unable to copy some files and no problem with others would that be because it is not running at optimum preformance ? where should I start trouble shooting? the ram? here is a list of things that i think it could be can any of you think of anymore?

1 ram
        2. incorrect bios
        3.incorrect cpu speed  1200 mhz amd duron set at 100
        4. possible grounded mobo to case
        5. wiring? although all lights and usb port and drives seem to work properly
        any suggestions?????
          thx