Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HTML links  (Read 18688 times)

1Pman

Topic Starter

Starter

HTML links
    « on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »
    I am creating a web page that has a table of contents, i have the links set up and working so that if you click the text it takes you to the correct position on the page. the problem that i am having is that the "name" side of the link (when you click the a href link it takes you to the position tagged with the name link) highlights when the mouse hovers over it like all my other links. Is there any way to stop this so that the text is normal?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HTML links
    « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »
    can you post some of the source code?

1Pman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »
      <p>
      We our a small brewery that takes pride in our beer specializing in three types of brews: <a href="#lager">Lager[/url][/url], <a href="#ale">Ale[/url], <a href="#dry"> Dry[/url], <a href="#brock"> Brock[/url], and <a href="#porter">Porter and Stout[/url]. We pay attention to details to ensure that our product exceeds customer satisfaction. Our head brewer has been extensively trained in brewing as well as the key techniques that separate our products from the competition. </p>
      <p>
      <a name="lager">Lager[/url]
      </br>
      The word lager is derived from the German verb &quot;lagern&quot;, which means: to store. During the late middle ages, before the days of refrigeration, fermentation was a hit or miss affair, especially during the hot summer months. To ensure a supply of beer for the summer, brewers in the Bavarian Alps stored kegs of spring brew in icy mountain caves. As the beer slowly aged, the yeast settled, creating a drink that was dark but clear and sparkling with a crisper, more delicate flavour. In 1842, lager acquired its familiar golden colour when a brewery in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia perfected a pale, bottom-fermented version of the beer. Lagers typically take more time to brew and are aged longer than ales. Lagers are best enjoyed at cooler than room temperature.</p>
      <p>
      <a name="ale">Ale[/url]
      </br>
      Although the term covers a fascinating variety of styles, all ales share certain characteristics. Top fermentation and the inclusion of more hops in the wort gives these beers a distinctive fruitiness, acidity and a pleasantly-bitter seasoning. All ales typically take less time to brew and age then lagers and have a more assertive, individual personality, though their alcoholic strength may be the same. Ales are best enjoyed at room temperature or slightly warmer.</p>
      <p>
      <a name="dry">Dry[/url]
      </br>
      &quot;Dry&quot; refers to the amount of residual sugar left in a beer following fermentation. This type of beer is fermented for longer than normal brews so that practically all of the residual sugar is converted into alcohol. The result is a beer which consumers describe as having a crisp flavour, clean finish and very little aftertaste.</p>
      <p>
      <a name="brock">Bock Beer[/url]
      </br>
      The other bottom-fermented beer is bock, named for the famous medieval German brewing town of Einbeck. Heavier than lager and darkened by high-coloured malts, bock is traditionally brewed in the winter for drinking during the spring.</p>
      <p>
      <a name="porter">Porter and Stout[/url]
      </br>
      Whether dry or sweet, flavoured with roasted malt barley, oats or certain sugars, stouts and porters are characterized by darkness and depth. Both types of beer are delicious with hearty meat stews and surprisingly good with shellfish. The pairing of oysters and stout has long been acknowledged as one of the world's great gastronomic marriages.</p>

<p align="center">
      <a href="#top">Top[/url]
      </p>
      </td>
      </tr>

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
      Are you simply saying that the words Lager, Ale, Dry, Brock, and Porter and Stout, in the first paragraph, appear as hyperlinks?  And, you don't want them to appear that way? 

1Pman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »
        what is happening is that the lager, bock , ect in the paragraphs are appearing as hyper links and i don't want them too.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
        Well, hyperlinks are hyperlinks.  If those words were hyperlinks but did not look like hyperlinks, then no one would know they were hyperlinks and, therefore, there would be no point in having them in your HTML file.  So, this whole scenario doesn't make sense.

But, to answer the question, I do not know of a way to do what you want to do.
        « Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:32:26 AM by soybean »

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 09:18:33 AM »
        I don't get it. When I copy your code and save it as html, the page anchors don't do anything. They're just bold.
        What is it that is happening on your pc? are they underlined? colored? bold?

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:39:02 AM »
          I get the same as michaewlewis, just words in bold text.

However, if they do appear as hyperlinks in your browser, instead of:

Code: [Select]
          <a name="lager">Lager</a>

Just do:

<a name="lager"></a>Lager

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
          Did you guys put his code into an HTML file, with the proper opening and closing <html>, <head>, and <body> tags, and save it as an htm/html file?  If you do, then it works; the words are hyperlinks that navigate within the page. 

Well, here's the proof: http://home.earthlink.net/~dderolph/HTML_links.htm

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
            Did you guys put his code into an HTML file, with the proper opening and closing <html>, <head>, and <body> tags, and save it as an htm/html file?  If you do, then it works; the words are hyperlinks that navigate within the page. 

Well, here's the proof: http://home.earthlink.net/~dderolph/HTML_links.htm

Yes, I put this code inside the proper HTML tags.

And at your site, it still doesn't work for me. Still just bold text instead of hyperlinks.
            I'm using IE7. What are you using?

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
            I have both IE7 and Firefox, and it works the same in both.  When you view the page, does your browser show a vertical scroll bar? 

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
              Yes, IE7 shows the vertical scrollbar, but it's greyed out, you can't use it. You know what I mean?

FF doesn't show the vertical scrollbar.

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
              So, you see no slider on your scroll bar?  This means you're displaying the entire page in your browser window and no scrolling is necessary to view all of it.  This explains why the links seem to do nothing on your computer.  See what I mean?

I'm using a 17 inch monitor, with resolution set at 1024 x 768, and with the standard browser toolbars taking up some space at the top of my browser window.  So, I see the slider tab on the scroll bar and, thus, the links change the position of the page when I click them.

Try this.  Shrink your browser window to a smaller size so that the slider appears in the scrollbar and then try the hyperlinks.  Do they work?

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
                OK, I think we have a case of miscommunication here.

You are right, I am viewing the entire webpage without the need to scroll down.
                So when I click on the links at the top of the page, my page won't scroll down.
                Had the page been longer, so long that I needed to scroll down, it would work, as it does on your monitor.

Here is what I think 1Pman's problem is:

At the top of the page he has:
                <a href="#lager">Lager</a></a>, <a href="#ale">Ale</a>, <a href="#dry"> Dry</a>, <a href="#brock"> Brock</a>, and <a href="#porter">Porter and Stout</a>

As these are hyperlinks, they will show up as hyperlinks. They show as hyperlinks in my browsers to.

These hyperlinks are referrences to name anchors somewhere else on the page:
                <a name="lager">Lager</a> etc.

Now, I believe 1Pman's problem is that in

the word Lager shows up on the webpage as a hyperlink.
                But in my browser it just shows in bold text, as it should IMO.

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 11:10:25 AM »
                OK, I think we have a case of miscommunication here.

Now, I believe 1Pman's problem is that in

the word Lager shows up on the webpage as a hyperlink.
                But in my browser it just shows in bold text, as it should IMO.
                Yes, the page is working just as it should. 1Pman has not responded since he posted the code. He should get back in here and participate in the discussion. We need his comments here.