Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet setup and something about audio card?  (Read 2733 times)

zomg281

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Internet setup and something about audio card?
    « on: March 01, 2008, 06:26:10 AM »
    hey guys, so i got my computer to format and i installed windows professional. now the hard part is trying to setup my internet connection. my internet was working fine up unitl i formatted, and now it cant even detect the connection. i recheck all the cables and the modem.

The way i have my connection setup is, there is a wire and i plug that inot a wall jack, then theres another wire that goes all the way across my house and into my room, and then i get another short wire to plug from there to my computer.

Im not sure what kind of connection this is , but it still runs really fast. whenever i tried to setup the manual connection it asks for name and password. for name i put like my name and my modem is password protected(WEP) and i put that could into password.

so guys, if u can help me, i really like it, oh! if ur going to post some steps, plz be detailed, i dont want to miss any steps.  :)

P.S. installed a game, but i message poped up saying i dont have an audio card installed. no idea what that means and im on another computer in my house. :)

zomg281

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Internet setup and something about audio card?
      « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 06:44:02 AM »
      also i installed everything from the Windows  professional CD, the extra stuff

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:31:31 AM »
      I just have some questions

The way i have my connection setup is, there is a wire and i plug that inot a wall jack, then theres another wire that goes all the way across my house and into my room

Is the wire connecting to the wall jack also connected to the modem at the other end?

You missed out the most important part: where in the setup the modem is connected.

and then i get another short wire to plug from there to my computer.

Why? is it because the long wire that goes across your house is not long enough?

whenever i tried to setup the manual connection it asks for name and password. for name i put like my name and my modem is password protected(WEP) and i put that could into password.

Who is your service provider? do you have a setup disc from them? what modem is it?

P.S. installed a game, but i message poped up saying i dont have an audio card installed. no idea what that means and im on another computer in my house. :)

Well, it could mean a lot of things. It could be that you don't have an actual physical audio card installed (a piece of hardware in your computer) or the install for that game couldn't find it or something more technical.

Can you hear anything else on your system? music, online content etc?

zomg281

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »
        yes, i know for a fact that i have a sound card, but then someone told me i need a sound driver and a lan driver. when my dad got a new modem, all he had to do was jsut plug it in and it would get the internet by itself, he didnt need to do anything. also i really dont know what a driver is in the first place , so if anybody an tell me.?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:54:58 AM »
        The LAN drivers will be on the Driver CD that came with the machine...your MBoard drivers will be on that same CD
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zomg281

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »
          so ur saying the the extra stuff u can install is on the windows professinal CD, i dont have the reocvery CD

ChristPerson4

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 01:53:48 PM »
            the drivers aren't on the windows cd. if your computer came with a cd that said specifically it was a "driver" cd than that's what you install the lan and audio with. also, i'm guessing you have broadband with an ethernet connection from what you said and you don't need a password or username. but i could be wrong and you actually have a dial-up connection which needs a password. if your computer didn't come with a driver cd, download it from a computer with working internet at the computer company's, or ethernet or audio card, site and burn it to a cd to install on your computer. but what we need to know to really help you are the following: type of connection, such as broadband or dial-up, what kind of modem, router, etc, and audio and ethernet card company names. and i'm sorry if this is hard to follow, i typed kinda fast. :)