Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can only open 1 website at a time  (Read 20078 times)

tango514

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Can only open 1 website at a time
    « Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
    First, I want to say I appreciate any and all efforts to help.  But the issue isn’t my lack of skill at navigating the internet.

Broni, I can’t do this using Internet Explorer favorites.  That’s part of the problem.  I actually use IE explorer frequently, and it doesn’t matter.  I can still only have one website open at a time.  When I aim using Internet Explorer, I click on favorites, open a site, minimize so that the site shows at the bottom of the screen, click another site, and the first site I opened disappears – never to be seen again.  So if/when I want to go back to Site #1 (and I usually do) I have to open it all over again.  When someone sits and uses my computer (here at home) they have the same problem

As I said, I never have this problem on other computers (office, friend’s computer, library, etc.)  On those, I can have 2, 4, 6, even 10 sites open at the same time, whether I use IE explorer or not.

Soybean – I know my left from my right.  It doesn’t matter whether I left or right click.  I’ve tried what you said many times – even before I came to this site. Repeat:  (hint: repeat means I’m saying it again):  The problem is that I’m only allowed to keep one site open at a time.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
    Why do you minimize IE after opening first page? How can you see next favorite, when IE is minimized?

tango514

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »
      Why do you minimize IE after opening first page? How can you see next favorite, when IE is minimized?

I don't.  What I minimize is the actual website I'm using (as opposed to closing it).

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »
      I click on favorites, open a site, minimize so that the site shows at the bottom of the screen

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »
      Hello Tango

It does seem that you are using the internet in a puzzling way... it would be much much easier using tabs.

Are you familiar with Internet explorers tabbed browsing feature? here's a beginners tour:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/tour/tabs/

Check to see if you have 'tabbed browsing' enabled. To do this, open internet explorer & click on 'Tools' at the top. Select 'internet options' & under the general tab (at top) you will see 'tabs' below. Click on the settings button & in the next box make sure 'enable tabbed browsing' is ticked.

Close IE then re-open it, at the top to the right of the current open website, you will see this:

click where the arrow is & it will open a new page beside the existing one, without having to minimize/exit IE.

(note: all clicking is left button :))
      « Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:27:02 PM by neljan »

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »
      It's all your, neljan, my savior....hehehe

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      « Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 08:24:04 PM »
      I don't mind taking the less challenging ones off you mate (no disprespect to Tango514)

Anyway, it gives you lot time to help those with more complicated issues... so run along now...  ;)

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »
      ...and it'll keep you from posting more nagging Firefox questions...hehehe

tango514

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
        I know how to hover over a link that someone has posted and how to click and go there.  You're right, it is simple - I do it all that time. 
        That's not what we said. Right click on the link, not left click. <hint>  Right click means use the right button on your mouse.

Give this a try.  Open IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, and click on the Reset button at bottom to reset all IE settings to default. 

When I open IE. and click on Tools (right or left – tried both with same result both times) on Tools, these are the options I get:

Menu bar
        Links
        Status
        Lock toolbars
        Use large icons
        Customize command bar

There are no “Internet Options”, etc.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »
        Ok, let's go the other way:

Click on start then control panel. In control panel, click on 'network & internet connections'. In 'network & internet connections' click on 'internet options'.

Follow the instructions in my previous post:

In 'internet options' & under the general tab (at top) you will see 'tabs' below. Click on the settings button & in the next box make sure 'enable tabbed browsing' is ticked.

Close IE then re-open it, at the top to the right of the current open website, you will see this:

click where the arrow is & it will open a new page beside the existing one, without having to minimize/exit IE.

(note: all clicking is left button :))

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 08:55:49 PM »
        ...and it'll keep you from posting more nagging Firefox questions...hehehe

You miss them don't you... I can tell. I will try to find something wrong again soon & annoy you accordingly!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
        tango514
        The options, you're talking about come up, when you right click on any EMPTY space on any toolbar:

To see Internet Options, you need to click on TOOLS menu:

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »
        In any case, with IE open, let's say, you have one web page opened.
        Now, if you click on Favorities star icon (see my screenshot) (don't use Favorities menu option at the top, because it doesn't work that way), then right click on favorite web site, it'll give you an option to open it in a new tab. Now you'll have TWO different web pages open at the same time:

...and with Firefox, it's much, much easier, right neljan?

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
        lol indeed sir

Although I used custom buttons in IE which is a total pain to set up in comparison to FF's drag to the shortcut bar feature.

tango514

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »
          broni and netjan, those are not the options I get.

I know what you're trying to instruct me to do - I've done it with no problem on other computers for years.  I am home now and using my new computer, as explained in original post.  I don't get any such menu when clicking on IE and Tools.  Nothing even close to that.

Also, as mentioned before, when I open IE I get a page "My AOL" and I don't even have AOL.  I get no menu and no menu options.

I am so totally lost. :'(