Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Forgotten" password problem in Windows XP Pro Recovery Console  (Read 5703 times)

aprilsartre

Topic Starter

Starter

Desktop Specs (this system was built for me in 2005):
    Motherboard: Asus a8v Deluxe

CPU: AMD 64 3200 (Winchester)

Boot disk: WD Caviar SE 160GB

Add'l disks: WD Caviar SE 160GB, Maxtor DiamondMax 21 (IDE-320 GB), Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (IDE-250GB), WD My Book Essential (External USB-500GB)

Optical drive: LG GSA-4120B (A115 update)

I am the only person who ever uses my desktop; the PATA, and external disks I added on later without a hitch.

This mess began last night when I flashed my desktop's mobo BIOS to the 1018.002 beta upgrade, which I did from the ASUS upgrade utility on Windows. Once I rebooted, I went into the CMOS and changed the onboard controllers to turn off Promise and pick up my SATA drives from the VIA controllers. The BIOS found those (and the PATA, optical and external drives) just fine.

Rebooted and got the NTLDR error. Set up CMOS to reboot from Optical drive, put the CD in, rebooted, F6'ed at the blue screen, put in the VIA controller update from the floppy and all went well. The recovery console found my SATA drive where the OS is installed and prompted me to enter my password.

I entered the password I've been using at login for the last few months.  No dice. Twice. No. Three and I was out.  I am fortunate to also have a laptop or I would be absolutely livid right now. I've googled for help to no avail.

What are my options? Thanks!

Dias de verano

Re: "Forgotten" password problem in Windows XP Pro Recovery Console
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
    You may want to read this

Error message when you log on to Recovery Console in Windows XP: "The password is not valid"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308402

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »
    What prompted you to flash the BIOS to begin with ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aprilsartre

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »
      I was attempting to burn a DL disc first in Nero 7 Ultra and then in IMGBURN - both faulted with a write error.

The IMGBURN site said that when that happens, if the burner's driver is updated (which it is), then it's probably a fault of the mobo BIOS being out of date. I checked against the Asus site and in the CMOS, and the BIOS on the mobo until last night was 1005. So I flashed it to 1018.002, I thought successfully.

I'm now hunting for my old XP boot floppies to see if rebooting that way will work, but I think those may be Pro SP1, I'm not sure.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
      A BIOS flash should never be used unless specific issues with the MBoard exist...i certainly wouldn't take a software vendors word for it.
      The boot floppies will only let you get to the RC and you may still be prompted for a password.
      Try the link posted above first.

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
      The Microsoft article I linked to above says an updated boot disk set might be a solution

The Setup disks have been updated to correct the problem that prevents you from starting Windows XP

aprilsartre

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
        Problem solved!

In order to flash the BIOS, I first had to make my optical drive my secondary master IDE drive. My normal setup is SATA 1, SATA 2, optical drive primary master, CD drive primary slave, IDE HD secondary master, IDE HD secondary slave.

What I'd forgotten is that in order for XP to see my SATA drive after the flashing, I had to put the drive configuration back to what it was. I did so and BINGO! No boot disks necessary. Duurr...

So what have I learned?

1) Put things back the way they were when you're done with them.
        2) Don't work on fixing things so late at night that you end up tired and forget number 1.  ::)

Thanks for your responses, Dias and patio. It helped me to think things through for myself.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
        Glad you got it sorted and Welcome Aboard !

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        « Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
        Now that you've cured your problem you should try to enter the Recovery Console again.  If you cannot get past the request for a password read on...You may want to enter the Recovery Console some time later...

On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it won't recognize your password, neither will it accept a blank password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
        Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
        Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
        Exit Registry and Reboot

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.