Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flash makes Firefox gobble CPU cycles with some websites  (Read 3138 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Flash makes Firefox gobble CPU cycles with some websites
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
I've noticed this and I'm wondering whether any of you have noticed the same thing.  I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12.  If I visit http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ , the page has a large area on the upper part of the page which is a scrolling view, moving from right to left, of books.  When I'm viewing that page and that area is scrolling, Task Manager (Win XP Pro, 512MB) shows Firefox consuming 95% or more of CPU cycles, causing total CPU usage to jump to 100%.  Firefox also tends to lockup; for example, I may not be able to select a different tab or click on any commands on the Firefox menu.  The Flash part of that page has a pause button.  If I click it to pause the scrolling, then Firefox behaves it's usual self again. 

The Barnes & Noble page is the worst case I've experienced, although some other sites with Flash will cause Firefox to spike CPU usage but to a lesser degree.  Anybody else ever experienced this?

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
Re: Flash makes Firefox gobble CPU cycles with some websites
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
I just opened IE and went to http://www.barnesandnoble.com/  I get somewhat the same result with it but a little less severe.  With IE, that page accounts for about 60-70% of CPU usage.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »
Can you post a screenshot, which area you're talking about?
I just went there, and CPU usage stays the same. I have Adblock installed, though, so I may not see everything.

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »
Since the screen shot is large image, I'll post the link instead of putting the image in the forum.  See http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/forums/BN.jpg

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
That particular image in my case is disabled by Adblock, and whatever I tried, I couldn't bring it back.