Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Broadband Speed  (Read 2063 times)

Kingy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Broadband Speed
    « on: March 24, 2008, 07:17:56 AM »
    Hi again guys, as you can see I am working my way through various problems I am encountering and, as I am not very knowledgeable, I need some more help.

I currently have a 1 Mb broadband connection (midway in the house) the modem is connected directly to a DLink wireless router which is hard wired to my satellite box to enable 'card sharing'. This is working fine and is very stable. My PC is connected via a wireless network and dongle working at the maximum speed of the router, 54Mbps.

Having just conducted a speed check on the broadband connection I get a reading of: Download speed of around 1Mb but only get an upload speed of 165Kbps. I don't think that this is right any ideas?

Thanks again in advance for all your kindness.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Broadband Speed
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
    Upload speeds are throttled down by most ISP's ...is the DLoad speed acceptable ? ?
    Check with your ISP as to what upload speeds you are entitled to.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Broadband Speed
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:25:07 PM »
    As patio said....upload speed may be up to 10 times slower, then download speed.
    On my cable, I can download at 15Mbps on average, but upload at only 1.5Mbps