Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost administrator password on Mac  (Read 9652 times)

Ham

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • feeling stupid! I know I am
    Lost administrator password on Mac
    « on: March 25, 2008, 05:30:48 AM »
    A Japanese friend of my wife's gave her , her old Mac OS computer before she left. The big problem is  she said she forgot her password! I have been able to access the Unix language (similar to DOS) and performed all sorts of commands (I got from the internet) to try to get passed the password but no luck! There is a CD in the Mac's drive marked Drivers but would be good to have the OS cd.
    Has anyone got any good suggestions ??? Thanks

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Lost administrator password on Mac
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:54 AM »
    sorry so late in responding, but you are in ok shape, as long as your friend didn't put a master password on the pc.

You need to get your OS install disc, and put it in the drive.  Boot to the cd by holding C while starting the computer.  It will come up with a menu, looking like it's going to install the OS.

Look at the top, and there's a "utilities" menu.  Click on that and click on something like "reset password."  It'll reset the admin password with whatever you type, just as long as someone hasn't set a master password.

Ham

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:21:50 AM »
      Thank you Socrates for your help. I do not have the original OS install disc. I wonder if I picked one up on e-Bay if it would do the same trick? Only problem is I am not exactly sure of the version of OS to get. I wonder if I can find this somewhere in the Unix programme I can access in the computer? Is there some command you can enter that will give the version of the OS?
      Again I much appreciated your reply :)
      kind regards
      Ham

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »
      I'm guesisng there is not a unix command that will tell you the OS version, but if you purchased another OS cd from ebay it'd do the trick. 

If you could actually get into mac os you could find out the version, but if that were the case you wouldn't even be needing the os disc. 

My recommendation: Bring it in to your local apple store.  They should be able to help you as they have various OS versions at the store.  They should be able to reset the password for you.

The best part is that it's free to have them help you.  just go to apple.com/retail and select your local store's website, and you can sign up for an appointment before going in.

Ham

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
        Thanks again Socrates, you've given me some good ideas to pursue. :) I just hope like you said, there is not a master password set on the computer.
        Cheers,
        Ham

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
        No problem.  Let me know if you get it working.

Ham

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »
          I just bought a "Mac OS"CD on E Bay. it's being mailed to me, so may take 4 or 5 days being Saturday tomorrow. Yes, definitely to let you know how it goes, is the minimum I can do for your help plus of course it'll be a useful thread for anyone caught in the same predicament. This computer forum is great!! :D
          Thanks again for keeping in contact,
          regards Ham.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 09:34:02 AM »
          No problem, Ham.  Glad to hear you found a cd to purchase.

Ham

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 03:10:15 AM »
            I got my OS CD today and was attempting to try it out but now there is absolutely no picture on the screen (CRT). I discovered other people had been switching it on and off. Maybe with old age(it's an imac G3 model), the tube has finally blown? I don't know.
            It's very frustrating, picking up that OS CD on e Bay only to find now the computer has another major problem - unless easily fixed - I think I'll just quit this little project.
            But I'm sure what you say would've worked because I've seen the same advice on the internet. Thanks for your help anyway.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
            « Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
            That's unfortunate.

Remember, you can always bring it to the apple store and have a Mac Genius look at it for free...