Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safecom wireless router  (Read 17822 times)

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

Safecom wireless router
    « on: March 26, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »
    Hi everyone on the forums!
    I have just purchased a safecom wireless router (model swcbr-5400) but cannot access any online pages through it no matter what i try. I have disabled windows firewall, but that made no difference so have turned it back on. I have followed the manual which came with the router but this does not work either.
    I have an ethernet connection which I am trying to run the router through.
    I am close to the point where it may now find its way out of the window!
    If it makes any difference, My IP is Virgin Media (a UK IP if anyone from outside the UK sees this!)
    As far as I can tell, the router is working, as all the neccesary lights come on and blink accordingly.
    Strangely, I accessed the Safecom site, and the model does not seem to be listed?!?!
    I can provide more info if neccessary, but dont want to fill this post with things people dont need!

Thank you all in advance

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Safecom wireless router
      « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »
      Anything that anyone can suggest here will be very much appreciated guys.
      Ive tried disabling firewalls to no avail.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:45:31 PM »
        Are you connecting to the router wirelessly or with a cable?
        The router is connected to a modem from Virgin correct?
        Could you provide us with the make and model of the modem?
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »
          Thanks deerpark.
          I am trying to connect via cable.
          The modem is Motorola SB5100.
          And yes, it is connected in the way you said. :)

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
            Can you connect to the config page of the router?
            The default IP seems to be 192.168.0.1

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
              Yes, it would appear thats the one thing I CAN do!

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
                Check the status page. Is the router getting a WAN IP?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »
                  Apparently so, but its the one I inputted on one of the previous (many) attempts to get it up and running.
                  Its the same one which can be found through ipconfig.

Deerpark

Egghead
                    « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
                    Unless your ISP specifically require you to input a static WAN IP I suggest you let the router obtain one automatically.
                    If you filled in the WAN IP because the router failed to get on automatically let me know and we'll take it from there.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:33:52 AM »
                      I tried to let the router acquire one, as I read somewhere that my IP (Virgin) dont have static addresses.
                      However, the router didnt seem to be able to obtain one, and thats why I inputted one manually.
                      When I did that, and also manually inputted the DNS and allowed the Clone MAC feature, the router status came up as connected, but was still unable to connect top the internet.
                      Leaving the router to obtain all these settings itself as the manual suggested it could just left blank spaces.

Deerpark

Egghead
                        « Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »
                        Try leaving it on automatic and enable the clone MAC feature and let it clone the MAC address of your computer.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:41 AM »
                          Tried that too. ::)
                          I hunted around a few forums and google for a good day and a half before I bit the bullet and asked for help, Im a man, we dont ask for help until were desperate!!!!!!!
                          I feel like the problem is with a setting somewhere on the computer, but im stumped as to what.

Deerpark

Egghead
                            « Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
                            Acquiring a WAN IP doesn't involve your computer so this is a problem between the modem and router (and possibly your ISP).
                            Try powering off the modem and router for 10 minutes and then power them back up.
                            Start by powering on the modem and let it start up completely before powering the router.

If it still doesn't work you may have to settle for configuring the WAN settings manually.

Assuming you get the router online lets try and figure out why your computer can't get online.
                            What version of Windows do you have installed?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
                              I think ive tried every possible combination of what to turn on first etc but ill have a go at what youve suggested now.
                              Im on Win XP SP2.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
                                Ok, ive just tried something else too which might help to answer the problem.
                                I did Run/cmd/ipconfig/all, with just the ethernet connected and the first section labled Windows IP Configuration has:
                                IP Routing Enabled.......NO
                                WINS Proxy Enabled.......NO

Surely I need to be able to route the IP?

Then again, i have absolutely no idea what this means!!

Deerpark

Egghead
                                  « Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
                                  No, IP routing only needs to be enabled if you're using your computer as a router which you're not.
                                  Please post the rest of the output you get from ipconfig /all.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »
                                    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : allanandkate
                                            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
                                            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                                            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
                                            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
                                            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-56-3E-C9
                                            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                                            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                                            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xx.xx
                                            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
                                            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xx.xx
                                            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.0.122
                                            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.0.39
                                                                                195.188.53.175
                                                                                62.31.112.39
                                            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 26 March 2008 23:38:27
                                            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 April 2008 15:23:23

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SmartM - Bluetooth PAN Driver
                                            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-16-59-03-FF
                                            Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.186.46
                                            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
                                            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I hope theres nothing here that enables someone to hack my pc!!
                                    « Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:10:36 PM by allan1983 »

Deerpark

Egghead
                                      « Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
                                      You should probably remove your IP address and default gateway since those are WAN IPs. In theory someone could use them to hack you, in theory.

I'm guessing you weren't connected to the router when you did the ipconfig /all.
                                      Could you please do another one while connected to the router?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
                                        Thought you mught ask for that!

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

Deerpark

Egghead
                                          « Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »
                                          Hmm...
                                          In the screen shot you have filled in the IP settings manually right?
                                          If you set your netcard to obtain an IP address automatically doesn't that work?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 05:53:02 AM »
                                            Whats the netcard?
                                            So far though, I think ive tried automatic and manual settings with no joy.

Deerpark

Egghead
                                              « Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
                                              Have you set your computer to obtain an IP automatically or have you configured the IP setttings manually?
                                              I ask because the IP settings shown in the screen shot is incomplete for the typical router setup.
                                              This should only happen if you've entered the settings manually.
                                              But if the computer is set to obtain the settings automatically there is something very wrong with the settings the router is issuing.
                                              You can check whether your network interface (netcard) is configured manually or automatically by doing this:
                                              Select run, type control netconnections and hit enter.
                                              Right click the interface and select properties.
                                              Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the scrollable list and double click it.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »
                                                Both down as automatic settings at the moment

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                  « Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 05:13:45 AM »
                                                  Try configuring your network interface manually instead.
                                                  Set the IP to 192.168.0.2
                                                  Subnet: 255.255.255.0
                                                  Default gateway:  192.168.0.1
                                                  Set preferred DNS to: 192.168.0.1
                                                  No need to set the alternate DNS.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 06:04:07 AM »
                                                    Router status with manual settings

WAN    
                                                    Cable/DSL    Connecting
                                                    WAN IP    0.0.0.0
                                                    Subnet Mask    0.0.0.0
                                                    Gateway    0.0.0.0
                                                    Primary DNS    62.30.0.39
                                                    Secondary DNS    0.0.0.0
                                                    Connection Type    Dynamic IP
                                                    Connection Time   00:00:00
                                                    Remaining Time   00:00:00

LAN
                                                    IP Address    192.168.0.1
                                                    Subnet Mask    255.255.255.0
                                                    DHCP Server    Enabled
                                                    NAT    Enabled
                                                    Firewall    Enabled
                                                    WIRELESS NETWORK
                                                    SSID    SWCBR-5400
                                                    BSSID    00:FD:07:90:43:BC
                                                    INFORMATION
                                                    System Up Time    00:04:53
                                                    System Date    3/26/2008 21:13:49
                                                    Connected Clients    1
                                                    Runtime Code Version    V0.1.2.114
                                                    Boot Code Version    V0.1.5.22
                                                    LAN MAC Address    00:FD:07:90:43:BC
                                                    WAN MAC Address    00:0F:EA:56:3E:C9
                                                    Hardware Version    V0.1.2.3

IPCONFIG/ALL With Manual Settings

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                                                    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\allan and kate>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : allanandkate
                                                            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
                                                            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                                                            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                                            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SmartM - Bluetooth PAN Driver
                                                            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-16-59-03-FF
                                                            Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.186.46

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.38.252

C:\Documents and Settings\allan and kate>

Any of that make any sense to you?

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                      « Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »
                                                      There is something completely wrong here...
                                                      WAN    
                                                      Cable/DSL    Connecting
                                                      WAN IP    0.0.0.0
                                                      Subnet Mask    0.0.0.0
                                                      Gateway    0.0.0.0
                                                      Primary DNS    62.30.0.39
                                                      Secondary DNS    0.0.0.0
                                                      Connection Type    Dynamic IP
                                                      Connection Time   00:00:00
                                                      Remaining Time   00:00:00
                                                      The router doesn't have WAN IP so no internet connection is possible.
                                                      You say you've filled in the WAN IP manually? It is not showing.

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.38.252

The manual settings I gave you aren't showing either.
                                                      Do this:
                                                      Select run, type control netconnections and hit enter.
                                                      Right click the interface and select properties.
                                                      Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the scrollable list and double click it.
                                                      Now set the radio button to "Use the following IP address:"
                                                      And fill in the settings I gave you.

But as long as the router isn't getting a WAN IP you're not going to get it online.

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                        « Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 06:18:31 AM »
                                                        00-0F-EA-56-3E-C9
                                                        This is the MAC address the router should set to use under clone MAC address by the way.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
                                                          as long as the router isn't getting a WAN IP you're not going to get it online.

Is there a possibility it could be broken?

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                            « Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 06:46:40 AM »
                                                            You never know, it could be.
                                                            But I think it is a bit early to jump to that conclusion, because so far what you've shown me don't really match up with what you say you've done.
                                                            I think you should reset the router to the factory default settings and start over completely because something isn't right. (Consult the manual on how to reset the router.)
                                                            Before you reset, power off the modem and let it stay off.
                                                            Set your network interface to automatically get an IP instead of the manual setup.
                                                            Make sure the cable between the modem and the router is connected properly. It should be plugged in to the router's WAN port.
                                                            When the router is back up after the reset, let it configure what ever basic settings it want to configure.
                                                            Then set the modem to automatically obtain a WAN IP and configure it to clone a MAC address.
                                                            Tell it to use this MAC address:
                                                            Code: [Select]
                                                            00-0F-EA-56-3E-C9Make sure the settings are saved and applied and then turn on the modem again.

Give it a few minutes, if the router still isn't getting a connection power it off/on and wait a few minutes again.

If it still don't work you can start considering whether the router might be broken.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 07:06:44 AM »
                                                              Now id go with 'Really F**ked' ???

I tried to repair the connection, and it said it was unable to renew the IP address.
                                                              Obviously, this was with the Modem off, because thats what I thought it needed.
                                                              I can always try again with the modem on too.
                                                              I couldnt even access the Router config page.

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                                « Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:40 AM »
                                                                Did you reset the router?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 07:12:22 AM »
                                                                  Yep, made no difference as far as I can tell.
                                                                  Thr manual said 5 or more seconds on the reset button to restore factory settings. I gave it 30 to be sure!

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                                    « Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 07:14:25 AM »
                                                                    while your computer is connected to the router do a
                                                                    ipconfig /release
                                                                    When it's done do a
                                                                    ipconfig /renew

Are you able to get an ip?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 07:27:24 AM »
                                                                      Connected to the PC with the modem on board too, or straight through PC---Router?

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »
                                                                        OK, funny story.
                                                                        I set up the router, and left it for about 15 minutes while I went out.
                                                                        Came back in and managed to access the router status page, which I couldnt do before for some strange reason.
                                                                        The router had a reboot option, which I hadnt tried before, so I thought what the *censored*, it cant make it any worse.
                                                                        Lo and behold, the router is now fully working, and found ALL the neccessary settings ITSELF.
                                                                        I just opted for google, and it worked, and its still up and running as I write this post!
                                                                        I think ill put it down to one of lifes great mysteries, like what women are thinking!!

Thankyou VERY MUCH for all your assistance and support, the router would have been stomped long before now if I hadnt had a resource like this to call upon.

Sorry I posed such an awkward question!

Allan

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                                        • Thanked: 1
                                                                          « Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »
                                                                          Hehe networking can be a strange beast at times... but I'm glad to hear it is finally working.

allan1983

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
                                                                            Im trying to set up my wii now, and am struggling to get some sort of update it needs.
                                                                            Done some mooching around, and the Nintendo website has suggested changing the channel the router broadcasts on.
                                                                            Am I able to do this without it interupting the set up?

Deerpark

Egghead
                                                                            • Thanked: 1
                                                                              « Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
                                                                              Yep, changing the channel WiFi broadcasts on shouldn't affect your setup.