Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem getting Slave hard drive to work  (Read 3269 times)

Rules_Twin

Problem getting Slave hard drive to work
« on: January 27, 2005, 09:43:01 AM »
Computer = HP Pavilion 760n
OS = XP Home
1.8 ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM
120 gig Western D. Hard Drive with Embeded  recovery partition ( Main Drive )
120 gig Western D. Hard Drive ( Secondary Slave )

Any other info needed Just ask and I would be glad to give.
_______________________________________ ______

Now, I got a new computer for myself and gave this one above to my wife and daughter for gaming. All worked great on it at the time I gave it to them including the slave drive. I just wanted to give it a clean start so I put it back to factory specs by doing a system restore on the machine before I gave it to them.

Before doing so I totally took the slave drive out of the machine because My wife and I both keep info on the drive that we want to keep and I didnt want to take any chance of it getting messed up during this system restore. After I was done doing the system restore by using the embeded partition on the main hard drive that came with the computer and updating all drivers and hooked the secondary hard drive back up.

Now here is where my problem starts. The computer shows the drive is hooked up and even gives it the drive letter "F" just like it use to but when I go to explore the drive the computer tells me the drive isnt formatted and asks if I would like to do so now. Well I dont want to loose the info I have on that drive, that was the main reason for taking it out to begin with.

I have updated the drivers for the drive and it says they are up to date. When I check the properties to see what the difference between the main drive and the slave drive is and the only thing I can see that is different is on the main drive the file system says "NTFS" and the secondary drive says "RAW" I dont how this got changed when it wasnt hooked to the computer during the reformatting of the machine or even if its suppost to say that or not.

Is this the cause of my problem now? and if so how can I change that "RAW" back to the "NTFS" so the drive can be read again.

Thanks for all and any help anyone can give. I have been trying to figure this out on my own here for a week now and I can admit when something has got me beat.  :(

Again Thanks for any help.

Computer_Commando

Re: Problem getting Slave hard drive to work
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 12:17:28 PM »
This might work:  http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

merlin_2

« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 01:11:59 PM by merlin_2 »