Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adware  (Read 3055 times)

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • Experience: Familiar
    adware
    « on: January 26, 2005, 09:24:11 PM »
    My computer has been infected by 2 adware viruses? that my norton 2004 cannot delete.  At the norton site I got a download that eliminated an adware 180se.  The norton site suggested that to eliminate the adware sahag I go to run and type in regedit.navigate through "
    h key_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run which I have done.  I am then supposed to delete from the right panel "sahbundle=%temp
    bundle.exe.    There is nothing resembling this file anywhere  Can someone help please?
    glenafton

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: adware
      « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 09:12:36 AM »
      glen, be very careful with what you want to do. Better check three times before deleting something.
      Now, Start->Run, write there: regedit  and then press Enter. After that, follow the path described by them (click the plus sign in front of hkey_local_machine, then in front of software and so on). In the right panel you should look for the recording that is exactly as that string you read about. It is not? Better don't mess up things there, call someone who knows a little more on computers. Or, as other options, try other programs with the same functionality or try to run the anti adware program in safe mode.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:49:06 PM »
        glenafton.....Another word of caution about the registry .......Always make a backup of your registry before you make any changes .........
        There is also a easier way to find things in the registry.....   click start / run ......... when the RUN box opens ...type  regedit   and enter ........  when the registry editor window opens ......click edit .....and select find ......when the find box opens ......enter what you are looking for in the find what box ....ie.  bla bla bla   and  then click on find next ......the search will start .....and in a minute or so you will see either what you searched for displayed or a message that says registry search completed ...(if you see that , you know it didnt find what you were looking for ) ......if it is displayed you will be able to delete it ..........Here's a tip ....after you delete an entry ....do the search procedure again as quite often there will be more than one entry created .......the registry search feature only finds one entry at a time ........When you see the registry seach finished ...you know that you have found all of them ......... BUT REMEMBER .......always backup the registry ...just in case you remove the wrong thing .

Hope this helps

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

john robb macnab

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 05:05:56 AM »
        Good evening Viking and DL65

glenafton

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 05:12:30 AM »
          Good evening Viking and DL65,
                                                           My thanks to you for your sound advice.  I think that I am somewhat out of my depth with this problem so I will just hand it to the professionals and let them sort it for me.
          Regards,
          glenafton