Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC running very slow  (Read 2061 times)

jazzym

PC running very slow
« on: April 10, 2008, 07:35:35 AM »
Good morning:

I have a friend who's pc in  running extemely. I have cleaned her internet cache and c:drive temp files. It there anything else I can do to help make it run faster.

Please advise
Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PC running very slow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »
Defrag.
Check how much free space is on the drive.
Have him consider adding some RAM if needed.
Visit our Virus and Spyware section and follow the instructions at the top of the page.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 09:21:01 AM »
hit Win+R on your keyboard and type msconfig and check the startup tab and services tab (check the hide all microsoft services checkbox first) for any unnecessary startup items that could be hogging resources.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »
You can find out how much memory the startup programs take up by checking Task Manager (processes tab)

elxr06

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
you might want to get a freeware registry cleaner (like regseeker) to clean the registry IF you have sufficient ram and you are sure computer is free of viruses and/or other malware.

Registry problems may make computer run slower but this should be one of the last things to check for.

First, like they said.... RAM, SPYWARE, VIRUSES, UNNECESSARY STARTUP PROGRAMS, UNNECESSARY BACKGROUND PROGRAMS are things that should be checked first.