Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xcopy and "insufficient memory"  (Read 14288 times)

Computer_Hopeless

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Plz pm me if you know how to transparentize this.
    xcopy and "insufficient memory"
    « on: April 13, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »
    I made a simple series of batch files (seriously, simple) to backup my flash drive.  They worked for a while, but now the copying stops early and "insufficient memory" is displayed before the next file in the series (which prints the date in a text file) runs.

Why does this happen? How do I fix it? Why am I too stupid to solve my own problems?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help with the above-mentioned questions.
    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
                     - Mahatma Gandhi

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem."
                     - Josef Stalin

Dias de verano

Re: xcopy and "insufficient memory"
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »
    You are not "too stupid" by any means, although you should perhaps have guessed that typing...

Code: [Select]
    xcopy insufficient memory
    ...into Google might be a good first step. It would have told you what you needed to know, namely that with xcopy there is a limitation of 254 characters in the fully qualified file name which is the driver letter, full directory path and file name. More than this and you get the problem you describe. Maybe this is the reason?

It would also have told you that a program called xxcopy does not have this and other limitations, that it accepts xcopy commands and does a lot more as well. Put it somewhere on your PATH and you can just add an x to the beginning of 'xcopy' in batch files you already have, and that you can get a free version at:

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

Computer_Hopeless

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Plz pm me if you know how to transparentize this.
      Re: xcopy and "insufficient memory"
      « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
      Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Just for the record, I am exceptionally irritated with Google, since they disabled my Adsense account because to external entities, all the computers at my school have the same IP, leading Google's software to reach the conclusion that I was mass-clicking by myself.
      "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
                       - Mahatma Gandhi

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem."
                       - Josef Stalin