Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: recover files  (Read 2232 times)

Tuco

recover files
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:31:55 AM »
I had to get a restore disc and restore my computer. It went to my external HD and put a partition in it before I realized it went to the wrong HD. now my external HD only shows 3.19gig when it's a 160gig. I also have some files that are very important to me on that HD. Can you help me so I can get use of the whole 160gig and get the files that's on the other side of the partition.
P.S. It was a restore disc from Gateway. It is Windows XP media center. The disc makes a restore partition which is what it did before I unplugged my external HD. yet the rest of the HD don't show just the 3.19 gig that was partitioned. The rest of the 160 gigs don't even show that it's there.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: recover files
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »
So, from what I understand, you restored windows xp onto your external hard drive? Am I reading you right?
If so, you could try PCinspector Data Recovery to see if your data is still there. This program can find certain files and partitions after deletions, formats, and repartitioning.