Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: network file sharing question  (Read 2918 times)

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    network file sharing question
    « on: April 14, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »
    i was attempting to connect my xbox360 to my computer to share it's internet connection, thought i'd try for myself without looking into it first
    i ended up going through a network set up wizard and accepting print a file sharing.
    was asked to restart.
    no joy, xbox wont connect.

but now i'm just thinking i should not have done all that :P.. i am connected to the internet wirelessly too, will this affect me security wise? or is there nothing for me to worry about here?

by the way, i have searched and not just came straight here asking questions.
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307874 tells me i go to folder options and deselect
    Simple file sharing. and theres nothing like that there at all. i'll take a screenshot if ya don't belive me lol..
    i am the administrator and i am using XP so something odd is going on.
    thanks for any help on this
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:54:29 AM by Ted2 »

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: network file sharing question
      « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »
      I don't really know what you've done so it is kinda to tell you if it will affect your security or not...

I also need to know more about your connection.
      what kind of wireless connection is it? Are you connected to a wireless router connected to a wired (A)DSL/Cable/etc connection?
      Is the wireless connection encrypted?
      Btw. here is some info on how to setup internet connection sharing for your xbox.
      http://bimmergeek.blogspot.com/2006/05/configuring-network-bridge-for-xbox.html
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »
        i'm really not sure how to explain.
        basicaly i started with Network Setup Wizard plugged in a ethernet cable(or whatever it's called)
        and continued... selecting accept on enable file and print sharing.. asked me to name the connection.. clicked finish.... nothing has actualy changed at all i don't think.
        it's just that my computer seems to have shared folders on which i can't turn off at all. ( how do i? )
        the Network Setup Wizard may have nothing to do with it. just thought i'd add in. incase that was the reason.

my connection goes like this so far:
        modem router to wireless usb adapter to computer
        and i have anouther computer connected via a cable to the router

so if one computer picks up something nasty, that means the other will too over the network?

-----

thanks for the link deerpark
        reason it's taken me time to reply is becuase i've spent the last 2 hours reading that page over and over step by step
        and i swear i'm almost there ;D. i got it all wired together and bridged.
        but i do the 'xbox live test' it's the IP test that fails
        i have both my xbox and LAN set to "Obtain IP adresses automaticaly".
        i will give it anouther shot tomorow, think i done enough downloading and messing about for 1 day..
        and i'm starting to babble on a bit i think :P

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:54 AM »
          As long as you're behind a router having file sharing enabled isn't a big problem.
          Just make sure your wireless connection is password protected and preferably using WPA encryption.
          You can check what folders your computer is currently sharing by selecting Administrative Tools --> Computer Management from the Control Panel.
          In Computer Management select Shared Folders --> Shares.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »
            just writing back to say thanks
            and thanks even more for sharing that link with me :)

i now have my connection shared with xboxlive and it's working perfectly -
            i was expecting lattency from sharing the connection, but somehow there is not! i love it ;D
             (the mistake for anyone intrested.. and quite alot of people had it too. was that i was entering the same ip as the one i'm using now for the pc. and it does not work that way..that's 1 thing not pointed out on the guide(just copy ur ip but change the last number on the ip and it will work))