Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cleaning Laptop  (Read 3863 times)

julianmh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Cleaning Laptop
    « on: April 14, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
    I have a Gateway MX3414. I recently bought what I thought was compressed air, but it was electronics cleaning stuff. It says not to use it on anything energized. I was wondering if I could use it to cean out the intake and other holes in my laptop.

Woodman

Beginner
      Re: Cleaning Laptop
      « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:42:39 AM »
      electronics cleaning stuff

Sure you can use it.  You could also use hairspray or a garden hose or olive oil or ether or spray-paint....  None of them will actually be any good at cleaning out your laptop orifices but you could try.

Get with it, you know that compressed air is the proper tool so go get some.  Follow the Gateway instructions on cleaning the notebook, blowing accumulated dirt into the works might not do it much good.   Be especially careful to stop the cooling fan, if fitted, from rotating at high speed when the compressed air hits the fan impeller.

Oh, and welcome to the Computer Hope forums.

Good luck.

julianmh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »
        Thanks for the welcome! Anyways, the electtronics cleaning solution is designed to dissolve away dirt, oil, grease, flux, etc., so it would probably work to clean out the laptop, but I was wondering if it would damage the laptop. This is a pretty good page for it: http://www.autobarn.net/elcl45wtoz.html It's not the exact stuff, but it is the same name. CRC QD Electronics Cleaner.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »
        but I was wondering if it would damage the laptop.

I'm wondering that too.  Let us know.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

julianmh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »
          Okay, I need an answer. I can't even listen to music without my laptop overheating now.

Simple Paws

Greenhorn
          • Learning as I go!
            « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
            I wouldn't use it.  From the link you provided it sounds like the stuff you have dissolves grease etc.  That means you have to spray enough for the components to get wet. Even though it evaporates fast you shouldn't use it to blow away dust.  Can't you just vacuum the slots clean instead of blowing the dust into your laptop where you know it doesn't belong?

julianmh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 05:25:17 PM »
              What would I use to vaccum it out? Just a conventional vaccum, or something made for laptops? (You can tell I haven't owned a laptop before, can't you? :P)

Simple Paws

Greenhorn
              • Learning as I go!
                « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
                Yep, just use your vacuum.  I do it all the time on the computers at work.  I haven't had any problems.  My environment is cleaner at home so I haven't had to do it on my computers.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
                Do not use a vacuum.
                They generate huge amounts of static and can fry electronic components easily.
                A can of compressed air is your best bet.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

julianmh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:34:08 PM »
                  Thanks. I would still like to know if the electronics cleaner would damage the laptop though.

Woodman

Beginner
                    « Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
                    I would still like to know if the electronics cleaner would damage the laptop though

Why ask mere mortals such as us?  None of us would even attempt to clean any computer using the electronics cleaner, we'd probably all use canned (dry) compressed air.

Why don't you try cleaning with the QD Electronic Cleaner, 4.5 Wt Oz
                    by CRC, then you can tell us. 

Or you can phone Autobarn (CALL TOLL FREE: 1-888-484-9560) and ask if they clean their computer(s) with that product. 

Or call a CRC customer service centre (the number's probably on the can). 

Or you can phone the manufacturer of your laptop for their advice.

This site notes that that one of the Applications is "computer componenents" but there's no way I can go on to state that it will definitely not damage your laptop.

Make up your own mind whether or not to experiment with your laptop.

Good luck