Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP SP3 news  (Read 6840 times)

patio

Topic Starter

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
XP SP3 news
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
Scheduled for release to the Public April 29th below is an overview of it's contents...

Clicky
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mcxeb52!

Re: XP SP3 news
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
would you recommend then vista with the sp1 or xp with the sp3?

"Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system, in addition to a small number of new functionalities that will not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system"

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
    What operating system is best for you depends greatly on your computer and your needs. We can't make a fits all people, universal recommendation. If you are a big time gamer with cutting edge hardware you need Vista to take full advantage of it. If you have an older system, the lower system requirements of XP will make your computer feel faster and more responsive than Vista. So in order to recommend something we will need to know more about your computer and what you use it for.
    But don't get all excited about SP3, it is a minor update to XP. First and foremost it provides all the updates released since SP2. If you have Windows Update on you will already have gotten these. The rest is updates to features few regular users are really going to care about.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

mcxeb52!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:07:52 AM »
    so it's just more or less making people feel like xp is getting "a new face" so to speak then ?

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »
      No, Microsoft is trying to phase out XP in favor of Vista, they have no reason to make people think there is something new and exciting coming for XP. In fact I think Microsoft have made it pretty clear from the start that SP3 is a minor update.
      Like I said, the main purpose of SP3 is to bundle all updates since SP2 in one package. This helps computer manufactures, system administrators and anyone else who hates installing updates separately from Windows Update.
      « Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:59:54 PM by Deerpark »

mcxeb52!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »
      in that case, vista is still going to stay on my computer. I was wondering if downgrading to xp was worth it.

I wonder if m'soft is giving their new windows 7 (still in development) a speed optimization? If I could, I would put the speed of windows xp together with the security of windows vista and use a pack like the bricopacks or the windowsblinds for the GUI that is less resource intensive.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 01:09:34 PM »
        Vista isn't slow, it just have higher system requirements than XP. Remember XP is 7 years old by now that is an eternity in computer science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 08:20:41 PM »
        Vista isn't slow, it just have higher system requirements than XP. Remember XP is 7 years old by now that is an eternity in computer science.

If you Put Vista And XP on the same Box, then XP would in general run faster then Vista. Thus the conclusion that Vista is slower. Then again, if Microsoft didn't waste so much time with implementing that DRM BS (I mean, a f-ing driver error code for having too high a resolution? *censored*? and check every single output frame of audio and video for changes to the "tilt bits" of the drivers, it would probably run WAY faster then XP.

That is the main reason I really don't like Vista- the main reason it has the higher requirement isn't necessarily for new functionality, (forgetting aero and such), but rather because there is so much garbage code to prevent us from using functionality it is ridiculous.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:54:54 PM »
        I wish Microsoft kept windows xp and just updated it with the AERO graphics. That would make it a good operating system and of course, keeping up to date with the security too.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:21:18 PM »
        I wish Microsoft kept windows xp and just updated it with the AERO graphics. That would make it a good operating system and of course, keeping up to date with the security too.

I've heard of people hacking the aero interface into XP. Just had to fiddle with the DLL files and such so the DLLs thought they were running on Vista.

WindowBlinds has a Vista Skin for XP, looks like Aero, but not Aero Glass.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »
        it wopuld be great to have the official AERO theme on windows xp that comes with the system or installable as with all other official microsoft signed themes.

And no, windowsblinds doesn't work do AERO justice.

----

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »
        Deja-vu- I think I had this exact type of discussion about XP's Luna themes being usable in 98....

mcxeb52!

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
        of course, I use vista to enjoy the GUI and that is all but if I were to go back to xp .... it better have looked good enough  :P