Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please help desktop problems!!!  (Read 3997 times)

notsochubby

Topic Starter

Starter

please help desktop problems!!!
    « on: May 02, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »
    Hi I have recently noticed that whenever I log in to my computer after about 3 minutes the program that I am running (regardless of what it is) closes, my computer then goes back to the desktop but with no task bar or desktop icons, and this is on windows vista btw. please does anyone have an answer???, when it does this I can't do anything.

cryhelp

Hopeful
    • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
      Re: please help desktop problems!!!
      « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:11:58 AM »
      Give us more information about your PC.  I am assuming you are running IE7.  Did this just start? etc.  In meantime check this site:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137069
      "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

notsochubby

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »
        My CPU: Intel Pentium Duel-Core Processor T2130, 1.86GHz
        Memory: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
        HDD:120GB
        WLAN:802.11b/g

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 07:22:35 AM »
        Also, are you using Service Pack 1 or not?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 07:47:19 AM »
        Is this Vista machine still under Warranty ? ?
        How much free space is on that HDD??
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

notsochubby

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
          I don't kow about the warranty, but I havn't got a lot of space left on my HDD. I only have 4.74 GB left out of 102GB (should be 120???). How come my memory is missing 18GB??

Also just another point, probably not relavant. But every time I log in now I get a message saying:
          ''Windows\system32\byXNEWMg.dll'' and that there is a problem with it or something. I'm no computer expert but is this related at all???

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
          You are well under Windows comfort zone for free space...time to do some housekeeping and/or buy another drive for storage.
          Windows needs minimum 15% of free space to operate efficiently...in your case that would be 18G Free.
          As to the missing space please refer to the chart below:

Chart provided Courtesy of Western Digital

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
          But every time I log in now I get a message saying: ''Windows\system32\byXNEWMg.dll''
          Your computer is infected...

Print these instructions out.

1. Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
          http://www.superantispyware.com/

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
              * An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
              * If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
              * Close SUPERAntiSpyware.

Restart computer in Safe Mode.
          To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen

* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
              * Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
              * Click the Scanning Control tab.
              * Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
                    o Close browsers before scanning.
                    o Scan for tracking cookies.
                    o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
              * Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
              * Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
              * On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
              * On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
              * Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
              * After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
              * Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
              * A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
              * If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
              * To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
                    o Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
                    o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
                    o If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
                    o Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
              * Click Close to exit the program.
          Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.

RESTART COMPUTER!

2. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
              * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
              * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
              * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
              * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
              * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
              * When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
              * Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
          C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
          Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

RESTART COMPUTER!

3. Download HijackThis:
          http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
          Post HijackThis log.

Still...as patio said:
          Windows needs minimum 15% of free space to operate efficiently...in your case that would be 18G Free.