Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hi, help! need help on a new used computer screen is blank  (Read 2788 times)

dogmamaofgoldens

Hi, help! need help on a new used computer screen is blank
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:09:54 AM »
 ???it was working until i decided to run the isp cd  to install and it would not accept the puter cause the color was just 16 bits and the other size font ? was 480 x 600 or something like that...so in trying to fix it, lol, i hit the disable button on one of those displays menus thingies, and that was 3 days and long nights ago and i am stumped..have researched already on this wonderful place i found you today and tried your suggestion, along w/a couple of more...
nothing is working so far....thanks, judy

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hi, help! need help on a new used computer screen is blank
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:44:22 AM »
Judy - Welcome to the CH forums & we're glad you found us.

In order to help you we need information.  Don't forget that we can't see your computer, don't know if it's a laptop or desktop, what brand and model and can't find out what your hardware or operating system is unless you tell us.  A cure for your problem may differ between Windows 98 and Windows XP so we really do need you to advise us.

Please read this and come back with some info.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

dogmamaofgoldens

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:44:12 AM »
Hi Dusty,

sorry about that of course that would be necessary...i will try to provide it before i have too many senior moments tonight...learning this puter stuff at my age has not been the easiest, but i love it..i just bought second hand a gateway 500 destop, xphome edition, 15' gateway screen and hope that is what you needed.... dont know much more..lol it was working fine until i started trying to use the isp cd so i could get it on line,etc..well, i printed out several things to try today on your site and others and nothing seems to work in safe mode, where i was tonight...i know i messed up when i disabled the vga card (i think that was it) in a display window and couldnt get back to redo screen just went blank..nothing now.... :-[   thank you for your welcome and any help would be so grateful....judy

dogmamaofgoldens

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
Hi,

sorry to appear inpatient w/my question from early am, but just failed on my last hope of finding an answer to my problem and wondered if anyone available could perhaps help me ....  tks, judy

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 03:17:19 AM »
I haven't been able to spend much time researching your problem but seems to me it's possible that you have disabled the video driver hence no pics.

Did you get the driver disk (Disk 1 of the System Restoration Kit) when you bought the hardware and did you get an XP installation disk?

BTW, the sites I visited mention the Gateway 500 running Windows ME so XP is probably an upgrade.  If you have an XP install disk, doing a Repair install might fix the problem.

dogmamaofgoldens

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Hi Dusty,

thanks to you I have done a repair installation on my problem and was a breeze to do compared to having just bought a new used computer and couldn't use it!!!!!   after a stupid mistake on my part..

thanks again for your help.....good job..

[email protected]

E-mail addy removed to prevent SPAM
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 07:58:55 AM by patio »

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »
Excellent news, thanks for coming back to report your success.

Please remove your e-mail address before the spammers harvest it.

D...