Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 will not start from DOS  (Read 5799 times)

dmckay

Windows 98 will not start from DOS
« on: February 01, 2005, 08:04:16 AM »
Ok, so here is what has happened so far...

A couple of days ago I restarted my laptop and it came to a screen that said, "Invalid system disk..." However, there were absolutely no floppy disks or CD's in any drives. So I made a Windows 98 boot disk from my other computer and put it in my laptop and restarted my computer.

Then, I transferred the system over to my hard drive. Once I did that, and restarted my computer it goes into the Windows 98 loading screen for about a second but then goes straight to DOS. I went into C:\WINDOWS and typed in "win" to try and run it but it says that "HIMEM.SYS" is missing.

I looked through the Windows directory and there is a HIMEM.SYS file there so I thought that it may have just been a corrupt file. A copied a new HIMEM.SYS file from my boot disk onto C:\WINDOWS, overwriting the old file. Then when I restart my computer it still goes to the Windows 98 loading screen and goes back to DOS and when I type "win" in C:\WINDOWS it still says that the HIMEM.SYS file is still missing.

Then I tried going into CONFIG.SYS on my computer to make sure that it said DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS and I am pretty sure that it did but it said some stuff after that on the same line.

It still says the HIMEM.SYS file is still missing and I no longer no what to do. Is there anyone that can please help me because I am getting really frustrated. All of the stuff that I did before, was I right in doing this? If not, please let me know so I can fix it. Thank you and any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: Windows 98 will not start from DOS
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 09:09:09 AM »
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 09:09:35 AM by viking »