Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3d-games pausing for extended periods  (Read 6564 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
3d-games pausing for extended periods
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
Before I even start describing my problem, I'm going to list my system specs, just so I don't forget to :P

Intel Pentium 4 1.6Ghz (willamette)
Motherboard(according to Everest) Intel Pendleton D845PT
1 GB DDR 266 RAM
Windows XP SP2
BFG Nvidia Geforce FX 5500OC
Sound Blaster X-Fi XTremeGamer
160GB WD Caviar partitioned 80GB each into C: and D:

Now, on to the problem. I didn't search the forum because I was unsure of exactly what to search for, so if another thread addresses my issues, please point me in that direction.

I first noticed this glitch after I first installed Need for Speed Underground 2. Anyway, the game ran fairly smooth, but every few minutes the entire game would freeze for at least 20 to 30 seconds, sometimes longer. I thought it was limited to the game and placed "fix underground 2" on my todo list (in my mind). In any case, it started happening on some newer games I got as well. So I decided, fine, I'll just play my older games, and started Quake 3. To my frustration it happened there too! which is odd on account of it working perfectly fine before!

In an attempt to determine if this was some background process stealing timeslices, I ran Process explorer in the background and ran Quake 3 until it froze. In my impatience I pressed alt-Tab while it was frozen in addition to control-alt -delete. Nothing happened. When it finally recovered the screen was flashing the quake 3 screen and a dark green color. I managed to exit quake 3 only to be greeted with a small messagebox, "the driver nv4_disp.dll has stopped working properly. It is recommended that you close all programs and restart your computer." Which I dismiss. I bring up Process explorer only to find that quake3.exe was actually hogging all the timeslices during the whole plateau.

Strangely enough, Need For Speed:High Stakes works perfectly, and so does ZSNES and Project64.

Steps I've taken to alleviate this problem include I've also installing the latest Nvidia driver (no change), scheduling chkdsk /r for both drives on reboot and restarting (allowing them to run to completion, of course), as well as defragmenting both drives. I just tested it again and Quake3 froze almost immediately upon starting (I'm using it as a test game because it doesn't take long at all to start). While it was frozen I noticed  that the HD activity light was flashing intermittently (not solid green, but a blink every second or two. What I find strange is that I am also running more programs in the background then before(usually none), which might be why it doesn't take 2 to 3 minutes plus to freeze.

honestly I am suspecting the hard drive, but chkdsk /r didn't find anything... In order to confirm or deny my suspicion, I am going to temporarily disable the pagefile. (actually, this will just confirm or deny wether it is the pagefile. Oh well. It's something...) anyway, would anybody have any other suggestions as to the cause of this problem?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

brett74

Apprentice

Re: 3d-games pausing for extended periods
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »
    what you need to do is shut down any other programs including antivirus ones. I had the same problem myself so I shut down any other programs and it seemed to work pretty good. I would also recommend to do a virus and malware scan also.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
    I don't even have antivirus installed at the moment. But now that you mention it, it seemed to have started after I temporarily Installed System Mechanic on my machine. It's gone now, but I wonder if it left anything behind. Right now I have only 21 processes, which after seeing other people's machines is extremely tiny.

Anyway, right now I'm running without a pagefile at all, and I still had the same problem, which eliminates PF access.

I originally ruled out other programs though with my Sysinternals Process Explorer test, since in the history graph it had Quake3.exe at 100% the whole time it was frozen.

Anyway I ran a adware scan recently but no malware/virus scan so that is what I will do now. Usually I ride free with no antivirus and manually remove any programs that think they are sneaky enough to trick me. Occasionally one sneaks by though, so I have to check every once in a while. a Good old HijackThis scan should do the trick...

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
    alright I ran hijackthis. I personally don't see anything that stands out too much in the logfile, but I'll attach it anyway.
    the only thing I think stands out are the Nvidia services, but I don't really see what they could do to cause the problem...

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
      Okay I looked at the log and it did look clean but you might want Broni take a look at it too just to be sure. You can download avg anti virus for free and it will be fine for playing games I have and it wasn't disabled and I was still able to play my games. You also might want to check to see if anything is overheating like your vid card or your cpu.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
      alright I already have AVG downloaded on my HD from ages ago- when I went on my old comp that I gave to my brother it was loaded with viruses and adware. I installed System Mechanic but uninstalled it shortly after because it is so egotistical. I dont ALWAYS want it running in the background. I had another util program Fix-it Utilities. It seemed a little less polished for some reason, but at least it gave that as an option. I'll run an AVG full scan once I install it. I can detect the viruses that load in the different run keys and such but maybe it'll find something more sinister, or some kind of hidden service. those things can be pretty sneaky, I'm sure you know :).

I just wonder what is up with the HD accesses while the games are frozen? I find it odd that most but not all of my games do this...

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »
        okay sounds good. As for the hdd accesses I don't know maybe it's trying to free up somehow. But if you play a game your hdd is gonna run cause it's accessing data for the game. Did you check for overheating of your vid card. I have that same card and I had to replace the fan on it.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:46:57 PM »
        well, I ran AVG on the scan for the last 4 hours. it found one threat, some dll file that apparently was adware in my application data dir.

I also ran File monitor to see exactly what the game was trying to access while frozen. I'm not sure but it seems to be repeatedly reading from it's pak file (around 40 accesses, 64K each). Which doesn't really make a whole lot of sense in-game, on account of everything being loaded, and my character just standing still, one or two accesses here or there for the music would make sense.

I understand the game would access the HD during play but usually when a game freezes it will either be waiting on the drive to return some data (solid light) or have frozen as a result of some other error.

I'll check the Video Card. I'll try Under-clocking it with the NVidia utility, see if that helps. would definitely explain why ZSNES doesn't have the problem. But first I'll get a temperature monitoring util and check the temps.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 06:09:34 PM »
          sounds good. I would check out pc wizard 2008 that would tell you everything that you would want to know about your computer plus more I have and it works great. Just google it and it should come up.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 04:20:34 AM »
          Okay I know this may haelp a little or alot, I know it is very uncommon among nVidia cards...but, my mate had a ATi 9600 256MB that came with the stock fan, and trying to play "high end" games during that time period eg quake 4 and so on, resulting in the graphics driver failing to respond due to overheating, giving a "Catalyst has reset the graphics drivers" box...I myself have a 9700 Pro and find it gets super hot...even with a aftermarket cooler on it (Iceberg VGA Cooler)

so if your nVidia drivers support it...I would check ur temps at the time of the crashes :)
          Is would aslo explain the instant crashes upon opening if your fan was failing, and has now failed :)

though...the other games running fine are odd...unless they are running in software...could mean your DirectX is failing, and has become corrupt...if you want to check this, click start > run > and tpye "dxdiag" without the quotes and select yes to the WHQL test, and then check each tab for error messages :)

Best of luck!

Kurtis

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »
          I don't really play any games that are too demanding. I dont even think I meet the min req for quake 4 at this time (well, CPU wise anyway). I'm going to check the temps- have to re-download Nvidia Ntune after upgrading the drivers grrr.

And I wouldn't really call them "Crashes"- more of an extended pausing.
          this includes the sound buffer looping and everything. The first time it happened I thought
          it froze and was holding the power button down when it came back.

none of the games are running in software mode, except NFS2, but then again I really haven't a choice with that one... High stakes is in a high res mode best 32-bit mode it displays.
          And actually the games that do run probably wouldn't be too much of a burden on the GPU- Need for Speed High-stakes runs fine, and so does ZSNES and Project64. C&C renegade crashes after about the same amount of time it would freeze with the other games, but I'm not sure if that is related.

also I just checked another game- Quake 2 also runs fine in 1024*768 Ogl pretty much indefinitely, so I'm starting to think it IS GPU/CPU temp related... just a question of which I guess... I'll try Quake 3 in software for a bit see if it still pauses. If it doesn't I've definitely narrowed it down to the graphics card.

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »
          alright I've pretty much narrowed down the problem to the graphics card, Quake 3 doesn't have software, but I reduced the settings to the lowest possible, and it ran for 15 minutes (three times as long as normal) without a problem. So I am now going to install Ntune again and check the temps after a freeze. Then at some point I'd like to open up my computer to even see if the GPU fan is working-

what I think is odd is that none of my games really crash hard like they did when my Radeon 7000VE would overheat- Renegade crashes, but I don't need to actually reboot the computer. On the other hand, this is a BFG tech FX 5500OC, so it's overclocked. Maybe I should use the ntune util to "underclock" it back to stock?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:10 PM »
          yeah it is still really a "crash"

And I wouldn't really call them "Crashes"- more of an extended pausing.
          this includes the sound buffer looping and everything. The first time it happened I thought
          it froze and was holding the power button down when it came back.

This means the graphics sytem has crashed causing everything slse to stutter...luckily the newer drivers force te graphics card to 'reboot' and reinitialize, and restarting all the other sub-systems with it.

when the 9600 i mentioned overheated, the game would freeze, you would hear a loop of sound of the last 1 or 2 seconds played and it would flicker, come up with a box saying it had been reset, and you could continue playing for 5 or so mins before it happened again...he fixed this with a cooler similar to mine :)

but just make sure it is your cooler first before buying anything else.

one thing that jsut hit my head...because u turned the quality down..could this mean he has bad gfx card ram? because hte txtures would be smaller...resulting in less memory usage...meaning it will take longer to fill it up to the point where it is corrupted/bad??

just an idea :)

Kurtis

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »
          Oh ok. I guess since I didn't really get any "official" type of crash dialog that everything was hunky-dory. So they are crashes then.

Anyway, I ran Quake 3 for almost an hour and the lowest settings, so it could be temp related. Problem being, I can't find any program that can see ANY of my temps beside my HD! Motherboard monitor insists my computer is frozen, and speedfan simply doesn't show CPU/GPU temps. Even the Nvidia Ntune utility says my GPU is 0.

Right now I only have the CPU and GPU fans in my computer- I have another one I got ages ago for my older comp that I might install as a case fan.

Also I might tweak the Nvidia settings to force lower settings for AA and such.

Also, I determined some more details that may or may not be useful. I purposely left Hot pursuit 2 on the pause menu until it crashed, and noticed that although the mouse moved fine it was my desktop-mouse as opposed to the custom one HP2 uses.

At this point I'm quite sure it is the GPU just not sure wether temp or something more sinister- would explain why the paused process takes up 100% cpu, probably stuck in the Display driver.

Sounds exactly like the problem you described with a 9600, except Nvidia decides that I don't want to know that the driver had to reset the GPU. Problem now is just getting the temperature from the sensor to confirm it!

In the case it IS the cooler however- I have a fair lot of video cards, including another Geforce- a 6200 or whereabouts (I'm no using it, since it is PCI). I suppose I could try to swap coolers if they have the same footprint, which would save me a bit of dough. The only two other AGP cards I have is a Radeon 7000VE and a ATI AIW 9000. I'm not counting my Rage Pro, because, well, that would just be silly!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 07:07:49 AM »
          On the other hand, this is a BFG tech FX 5500OC, so it's overclocked. Maybe I should use the ntune util to "underclock" it back to stock?

This should always be mentioned eearly on in any troubleshooting process...otherwise it leaves everything open to guesswork.
          Throttle that card back and see if the issues go away.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "