Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no power  (Read 2323 times)

xavier

no power
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
My computer does nothing,  Gigabyte board AMD 939, This is a home build appx 3 yrs old. When i turn on i get nothing on power up , no lighth fans dont work nothing. I dis connected all non necessary components still nothing. I have tested the power supply and it seems to be ok.This pblm happened while pc was on and it just quit. There was no power outage at the time.I suspect it is the mother board.Any suggestions from you guys?                             

D3m0sth3n3s

Rookie

Re: no power
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
    is it possible for you to get ahold of another psu, and maybe see if it works where the current one doesnt?
    system:
    Gigabyte p965p-ds3
    Intel core 2duo OC @ 2.4Ghz
    4 gigs DDR2 Patriot
    Evga 9600GT
    750 Watt psu

xavier

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 04:27:08 PM »
    Thanks for the reply, what i did with the power supply i disconnected the atx power connector aand shorted the green and black wires and turned on from in back of pc, in doing so the fans spin and front panel lights come on.Lets assume the power supply is good , woulds i be possibly right it is the MOTHER BOARD?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »
    Just because the PSU works with less load doesn't necessarily mean it isn't bad- there might be something wrong with the PSU that prevents it from properly supporting the full load when you plug in the motherboard.

It could still be the motherboard, but all the evidence (including your "testing method" described in your last post) seem to point to the PSU.

Especially since no fans or anything turn on...

if you try what D3m0sth3n3s said, you'll be able to KNOW wether it is the mobo or not- if you have the same problem with a new PSU, it's the motherboard, otherwise it was the PSU.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

xavier

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:17:48 AM »
    THANKs for the reply BC ,I SAW a power supply i liked ,ANTEC NEO HE500 watt. I will hook it up later today and let you know the result

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »
    Well, you could be right about the Motherboard, but a PSU is generally a lot cheaper then a new motherboard, and you'll know it's the mobo if it doesn't work. Although now that I think about it, did you try disconnecting Everything except the mobo power? might be a defective HD or something. You might have covered that already but I'm not 100% sure what you meant by non-necessary components.Anyway, hopefully it isn't the mobo. motherboards dying makes me cry. :'(
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.