Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help downloading antivirus in Windows Vista  (Read 9170 times)

jandal

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Need help downloading antivirus in Windows Vista
    « Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:53 PM »
    To Broni and mcxeb52...

I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused. Broni, you are right that AVG Anti-Virus 8.0.87 is the latest version but it's only free to try. The AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.1 is the program my friend would download to her PC, then email me NOT the downloaded AVG file but the AVG installer file as an attachment. She says when I go to open the attachment it should install. Says she has done this for other friends on dial-up before. Thank you for the link to the site offering instructions for burning to a CD. Now one more question...would my friend burn the AVG file itself after downloading it or just the little AVG installer icon? Or is there a difference? Please tell me how this would work. And mcxeb52...I was told that emailing the AVG installer after downloading AVG from my friend's DSL connected computer would save time installing it to my dial-up connection. Boy, am I mixed-up. Please clarify. Thanks again for your patience, friends.

jandal

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:45:11 PM »
    AVG doesn't come as a small installer, it comes as a whole installation file - 45.5MB. Your friend burns it to CD, and there is no more downloading for you, and you have a fresh copy for future use.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »
    A flash drive is needed here...
    A 1G one can be had for 10 or 15 bucks.
    When your friend plugs it into your machine it shows up as another drive in My Computer/Windows Explorer.
    Simply copy the file to the flash drive and then use it on your machine in the reverse order...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »
    So, now, here you're, late, doing an easy job, huh?....LOOOOOOOL

jandal

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:52 AM »
      An update for Broni. mcxeb52, and patio...My computer on dial-up appeared to have crashed 10 days ago. I would power on, then Start Menu would "freeze" on screen, then computer wouldn't respond at all. So I'd power off. For the next eight days I'd turn power on, find that same frozen screen, then power off. I used my other PC to email Best Buy to report the problem since my warranty is good till Aug. 5th.  Well, two days ago I turned power on and everything behaved normally, as if nothing had been wrong!! I took a chance and spent 3 hours, 18 minutes downloading and installing a fresh copy of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. Slow but steady dial-up connection. When I ran a scan and saw the green checkmark stating that my system was fully protected I actually jumped for joy. Yes, I know it would have been much easier and far less stressful if I had simply had my friend burn the file to a CD for me but she was out of town and unavailable. Next time that's what I'll do. Just wanted to let you all know that my computer problem is solved and I'm now sending emails and web surfing with no problems. Thank you so much for your time and terrific advice.

jandal   :D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »
      That is indeed good news jandal ! !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind