Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help removing Red Hat 9.0  (Read 18662 times)

tomgra

Need help removing Red Hat 9.0
« on: April 22, 2004, 11:32:58 PM »
Ok first I would appreciate any help. I installed RH 9.0 about 2 months ago and I liked it at first and now I realize that it is not for me. SO, I have been trying to uninstal it and I am having no luck. I have a dual boot with XP and RH 9.0. I have tried to use fdisk in Windows and I am not able to use it. I had the GRUB removed by using "fixmbr" in DOS command and now the GRUB loader is gone. So what do I have to do to erase the Linux? Actually I would like to erase the hard drive completly so I can start off fresh. Yes, erase both OS's. PLEASE help me.

gliss

Re: Need help removing Red Hat 9.0
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 09:03:01 AM »
I would make sure that the bios is set to look on the floppy drive first, and then boot from a windows 98 startup disk. Use fdisk to delete all partitions. Then  repartition and format.  You will be in fat32 of course but when you reinstall XP it will give you the option to convert to NTFS.

loki

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:52:40 PM »
using xp cd..
try deleting all partitions.. even unpartitioned partitions..
that might be a problem..

using fdisk from a bootdisk...
delete all non-dos partitions... and change hard drives
numbers when needed...

prashant shivmath

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 11:06:49 AM »
there r two thing u must have to do

1) u must have to delete the linux partition, take the redhat 9 cd boot with cd and when it show grub screen to create the partition press ctrl alt f2 and run fdisk and delete the parttion or take the old version cd like redhat 8,7 and boot with that cd and delete the partition with fdisk and save the changes, after that remove the grub mbr entry by typing fdsik /mbr, after that run fdisk and create or delete the partition u try this it will work

thanks,

prashant