Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with VPN  (Read 6924 times)

zeebugger

Topic Starter

Starter

Need help with VPN
    « on: May 07, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »
    Hello all.

I have two networks, Network A and Network B.  These networks are, of course, separate from one another and are actually contained in two separate buildings.

Network A has a Windows Server 2003 machine residing on it.  This machine will be set up to act as a file server.  Users who are directly connected to Network A will have no problem retrieving or storing files on the machine.  Network B is another story.

How do I get users on Network B to be able to connect to the file server on Network A?  Can it be set up on the file server running Windows Server 2003?  I assume this is solved with a VPN, but I don't know how to set one up.

Also, all users will be running Windows XP (and a few ME) on their client machines.  Both networks are mixed with wired and wireless connections.

Thanks!

EDIT:  I am sorry, can this be moved to the Networking section? Thanks.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Need help with VPN
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »
    Are these two networks in any way interconnected?

zeebugger

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »
      Hello!

No, Network A and Network B are in no way interconnected.

At least not until I figure out how to set up a VPN.

Thanks!

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:40:56 AM »
      If there is no physical connection between the networks, you would either have to create one (physically lay a wire between them) or set up a VPN. If you want to setup a VPN, you first need to select a VPN program that suits your needs. Without knowing more about your networks or the traffic on them, it's difficult to tell you more.

zeebugger

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
        Hello again!

There can be no physical connection or wireless connection between the networks, they buildings they reside in are simply too far apart.

Can the machine that I am using as a file server also be set up to run the VPN?  The machine is running Windows Server 2003 and I notice there is an option to set up a role called Remote Routing and VPN.

Or do you need a separate machine to do the VPN?  I have never set up a VPN before and I may be slightly unclear as to what they can accomplish.

Thanks!

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
        There's quite a bit to setting up a VPN. Microsoft TechNet has a nice section about VPNs:
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545442.aspx

Have a read through that and see if it gives you some direction.