Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buffer Overrun  (Read 28477 times)

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Buffer Overrun
    « on: May 09, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »
    I am running IE 7.  Out of the blue it will come up with a box that says buffer overrun.  When I click on either the X or the OK box, it will  make my taskbar dissapear.  Usually the only way I have to make it come back is to reboot.  Also, IE will shut down when I click on either, but this doesn't happen all the time.  It is just hit & miss with that. 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Buffer Overrun
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
    Is only IE affected? Did you try Firefox? What Windows version?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
      I don't have firefox and don't really want it.  I am running win XP Prof.
      Other then the current problem, I am very happy with IE. 

I don't know if this is a virus or spyware or what.  I keep running spy sweeper and anti virus and am continually getting the same ones.  I keep deleting them, but they keep coming back.  That is why I don't know what is going on with IE.

Thanks for your response.  I hope you (or anyone) can help me figure this out.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
      First of all, I'm not forcing you to use Firefox. It's always a good idea to have two browsers, simply for cross reference. If things work fine in Firefox, then we know, it's something wrong with IE, and vice versa.

You may also...

Download HijackThis:
      http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
      Click on Download HijackThis Installer
      Post HijackTHis log.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
        Sorry it took me so long to answer.  I am having to get on another computer.  I d/l firefox, but am unable to install it.  I did d/l and ran highjack this and it just made things worse.  After I did a scan it had so many things I couldn't even count them.  Plus afterwards it just frozzzze up and wouldn't do anything.  I had to uninstall it.  Now I'm lucky if I can even get it to do anything.

I have been continually running spy sweeper and AVG.  I have some kind of virus or something.  It is called malware and no matter what I do I can't get rid of it.  Spy sweeper doesn't find it.  AVG doesn't seem to find it.  It keeps finding other virus's and then every time I reboot or try to go to safe mode to run it again, it finds more.  I go back and reboot and it finds more. So I have no idea how it is getting on there.  Sometimes it's the same and sometimes it's different.  Spy sweeper says to sweep while in safe mode, but it doesn't do any good. 

One of the things is called  MalWarrior alert
        One is  AntispywareMaster
        The one that is the buffer overrun is called  Microsoft Visual C++  I went into add/remove programs and removed this one, but it still comes up. 
        I had one that made my task manager disappear, but I got that fixed for now.
        Another one is call Virtumond and this one keeps coming back.
        Anothe one is called Rouge Security Products and it keeps coming back.

Any suggestions from anyone???  Other then dousing it with lighter fluid.  I've already thought of that. 

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
        You're definitely infected...

Print these instructions out.

1. Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
        http://www.superantispyware.com/

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
            * An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
            * If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
            * Close SUPERAntiSpyware.

Restart computer in Safe Mode.
        To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen

* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
            * Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
            * Click the Scanning Control tab.
            * Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
                  o Close browsers before scanning.
                  o Scan for tracking cookies.
                  o Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
            * Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
            * Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
            * On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
            * On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
            * Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
            * After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
            * Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
            * A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
            * If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
            * To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
                  o Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
                  o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
                  o If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
                  o Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
            * Click Close to exit the program.
        Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.

RESTART COMPUTER!

2. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
            * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
            * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
            * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
            * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
            * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
            * When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
            * Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
        C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
        Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

RESTART COMPUTER!

3. Download HijackThis again. Rename hijackthis.exe to woodworks.exe, and double click on it.
        Post HijackThis log.
        DO NOT FIX ANYTHING.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »
          I'm trying to do what you said.  Right in the middle of printing, the power went out in the whole neighborhood.  I'm just now getting back on here.  I keep getting highjacked and redirected.  I'm lucky to even get here, IE keeps freezing up.  I have gotten the first d/l completed and am now going for the second one so I can get off  line and do the install. 

How do I post highjackthis log?

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
          Run first application, before you download second one. It may remove some garbage, and your computer may be better.
          Logs, you can either copy/paste, or attach.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 05:17:19 AM »
            Update;

I can't get to this forum from infected computer.  I can get to the web site, but am not able to get into forum.  I have d/l superantispyware and it did it's thing and so far so good.  I found that I didn't uninstall highjack this.  I went into add/remove and tried to remove it when it was giving me a problem and it said that it could not be found and that just the name was in there and it asked me if I wanted to delete the name and I said yes. I did a search and came up with nothing.  I then displayed my icons on desktop and happened to see shortcut.  Clicked on that and up came highjackthis.  I have no idea what is going on with it.  I did a scan and I am going to try and post it as asked.

BTW, I d/l firefox and it will not go into forum either.  I can access all other places in web site, except forum.  I have done nothing with the malware you said to d/l as of yet.  To do a scan with these things, it takes just about 2 1/2 hrs each.  Again, since I am not able to access this forum from the infected computer, it is hard for me to get to another one to post anything.  Any suggestions as to why I can't get here from there??? As I said, I can get to the home page and all other sub pages, except forum.

Thank you for the help you are giving me.  I'm at least making headway.

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
              Update;

I did the malwarebytes one and guess what?  I can get to this forum.  Both on IE & firefox. 

Now what would you like me to do?  Is that the end of it, or what?  I am curious about the highjackthis log.  I would like to know what you think about it.  Do I need to do anything concerning it?

This is the final scan I did with highjackthis.
              BTW, how do I get it off my computer?  I can't go to add/remove and do it, it isn't in there.  It's not in my programs list and it doesn't show up on a search.

And once again, thank you for your help.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »
              I'm glad, things are little bit better.
              I'd like to see, Superantispyware's, and Malwarebyte's logs, however.
              Was the latest HJT run after the other two programs?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:58:04 PM »
                Yes it was.
                I'll try and find the logs.
                Also, whenever I boot up, I have a box pop up that says

Error Loading
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnqhxle.dll
                The specified module could not be found.

What is this?  A better question is how do I get rid of it?

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
                Error Loading
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnqhxle.dll
                The specified module could not be found.
                Don't worry about it. This is normal error during clen up.
                Let me check your logs....

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 01:09:02 PM »
                *** Is Windows firewall on?

*** Download HostsXpert (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hoster_d4626.html) and then follow the below steps.

* Unzip HostsXpert.zip
                    * It will create a folder named HostsXpert in whatever folder you extract it to.
                    * Run HostsXpert.exe by double clicking on it.
                    * click the Make Writeable? button.
                    * click Restore Microsoft's Hosts File and then click OK.
                    * Click the X to exit the program

Restart computer. Post new HJT log.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »
                  I don't believe firewall is on.  But I don't know how to tell and/or turn it on or off.

Next:  I d/l hostsexpert and did what you said.  Spy sweeper blocked it.  I allowed it but when it started it said it couldn't create the file.

Now what?