Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading from win98 to XP. Errors!!!!!  (Read 5501 times)

XPEER

Upgrading from win98 to XP. Errors!!!!!
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:54:24 PM »
I've tried to upgrade 10 times now. Fails everytime. Always for different reasons, different files it says are corrupt or it can't copy them but the FATAL ERROR: is always the same:

Error:
Installation failed: C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\asms.

Error message: A component's file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.

It's starting to upset me a little. I've spent hours and hours on the phone talking to MS Help (Indian) (no offense, really, but they are kind of hard for me to understand) with no results. It seems like everything is going good, but apparently there's just 1 little file somewhere that doesn't look right so the whole thing crashes.
What is a manifest anyway, and does anybody out there know how to fix this? From looking around different places on the internet I see I'm not the only one having this problem, but so far I haven't found any answers. Please HELP!!!!!
Thanx

Doomsday_J

Re: Upgrading from win98 to XP. Errors!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 08:02:32 PM »
have you tried wiping the drive and doing a clean install?

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 09:22:26 PM »
    Okay,firstly,is this a new xp cd or a copy?Is it a full install or upgrade?What is your hardware?(harddrive size,size of ram,processor speed)XP needs sufficient hard disk space and needs at least 256mb of ram to run at its potential.If you have the required H/D space and ram and it is a full install cd then fdisk your h/d and then format and then install xp.Why dont you tell us your specs and the xp disc first and we will go from there!
    WRWSS

XPEER

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »
    I have a brand new full install XP cd. Not a copy. Don't think Microsoft would have been talking to me if it were a copy. But, I'm using it to (try) to upgrade from win98se. Which you're sposed to be able to do??? I know you can partition with fdisk (although I've never done it) but my understanding is that doing that wipes out everything.

Specs: (Sorry I didn't give this to start with) ;D

80 GB hard drive (no partitions, win98se)
    Intel Celeron, 399mghz
    128 MB RAM

Ok, so it's not the greatest, but it should suffice. Anyway, if you got any ideas, please let me know. Thanx

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 12:20:19 PM »
       XPEER.....Looking at you pc specs.........XP should run , but your CPU is a little slow and 128mb ram is also questionable .
      Have a read ...
      http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2003p152id78043.htm

There may be one (ore more missing files in your 98SE) that is causing the problems .......Really a clean install ...would probably solve that ..........In other words... Format the existing hard drive ......( wipe it clean)   Then use the Win 98 boot disk to reboot , FDISK the hard drive to creat a partition  and then do a clean install of XP .........Remember you must save any data you want to cd before formatting ......

Then as a matter of good practice ......
      Do this .....
      Install win xp and SP1 ( if its on the cd)
      If you have a cd with SP2  , install it next .
      Install your anti-virus software .
      Now go on line and get the latest updates for your anti virus software ......
      Next go to Ms update page and download all updates ....critical and other ...as well as any drivers listed there .
      Then ,I would install your spyware and adware scanners .......
      Now you should create your E mail account .....in Outlook express ( if thats what you  use )
      Now your ready to start installing your programs.

let us know how you make out .

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.