Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toyota Prius  (Read 14501 times)

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Toyota Prius
    « on: May 14, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »
    I get the impression that this is more computer than car; ergo, I would like to 1.  See if any forum members own a Prius already, 2. and then ask some questions.  We are considering getting one, and the Prius forums I've checked are all pretty gung-ho.  I'm hoping to get a different perspective from this group.  So, if Prius owners wouldn't mind my picking their brains, I'd appreciate any feedback.  Given my glass-half-empty mindset, of course I'd like to know about any problems; but I shan't be disappointed if you all have good things to say as well.  The car will reside in the Detroit, MI area, so mostly urban driving, which is to say that even on the freeways it's stop and go about half the time.  However, it will be used for vacation travel as well (read:  open road) and thus we expect lower mileage than in town.  At this point, I'm not looking for tips and tricks--I believe the Prius forums are loaded with those; I am looking for real-life opinions. 
    Which generation do you own?  How many miles on it?  Would you buy another of the same or current generation?  Why or Why not?  Most annoying feature?  Best feature?  If one is not automatically a computer "whiz", how long is it going to take to understand and operate the computer features on this car?  (Should I get a copy of the o.m. now?)  Are there any other publications out there, besides the shop manual, available for public consumption?  How does it run in extreme climates?  Does performance/mileage go down in the winter?  How does it handle in icy/slippery conditions?  Safety-wise, I see it gets lukewarm reviews--has that been a problem for anyone? 
    Please weigh in with anything else you know about your Prius.  I know how you all hate essay questions, which is what I'm asking of you, and I apologize in advance.  I'm grateful for whatever info you can provide, as usual.
    Regards,
    sv7

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Toyota Prius
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
    My Brother works for a Lexus dealer ( migrated after many years at Toyota) and has had one for about 10 months...i'll call him for a lowdown on his experience wit it and update you...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »
      Thank you.  I look forward to it.
      Regards,
      sv7

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
      I don't own one, but just mentioning that performance goes up in stop and go city driving, because the car runs on it's electrical system, and shuts off the gas engine while it is stopped.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
      I watched a Top Gear episode about the Toyota Prius. Their review was pretty good. I like it, although I don't like the design of the back  :P

There are manymanymanymany of those cars are here in HK
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:38:13 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »
      He hasn't had time for a detailed review but he did say getting on a freeway ramp will suprise you a bit...
      Sounds like he likes it so far.

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
        Thanks, Patio.  I hope that's pleasantly surprised...  Any other owner feedback welcome.  Also, anyone know if any of the major car rental co's have some in their fleets?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »
        this site has a lot of good things to say about the prius...

I like to look at the user reviews at cars.yahoo.com too.... http://tinyurl.com/5bz96n

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
        As Toyota is quite confident in this machine and would like it to be successful many Dealers have been qualified for a Try and Buy program so check in your local area.
        You may have to travel a bit but it'll probably be worth the effort.
        This info also came from my busy Brother who still hasn't written me a review yet.... ;D

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
        I personally hate hybrid and electric vehicles.

I've seen more Prius's on the curb and in the scrap yard than I've seen driving, some wrecked, some broke down.

Now, mind you, if you get in a wreck in that car, your screwed. Completely, utterly, and totally screwed, you will know what canned tuna feels like. I've seen those cars wrecked, it looks more like a ball of safe-t glass and aluminum scrap than an automobile, research Fiat, in some area's they are selling a vehicle that gets around 40mpg, can't remember the model, but its only around $11,500, about the same size as the prius, but safer, although, it is your choice either way. Fiat is planning on selling automobiles here within the next few years at extremely low prices, they run on gas, and there boasting a 40MPG rating from the factory, one is about the size of a subaru outback, the other a coupe a little bigger than the prius. Both vehicles start at $11,500, if they sell good, Fiat plans too bring in more vehicles, hopefully they'll drive the japanese vehicles out. I'm tired of seeing and hearing honda civic's with 3" exhaust pipes! They sound like the chainsaw from h**l! All three of my neighbors vehicles are japanese imports, one was imported from england, its a civic thats right hand drive, coupe, ain't like the one they sold here, but all of them are LOUD, too loud for any four cylinder, I'll laugh when they burn the valves up.

EDIT: Forgot too mention, a light weight car is going too handle as poorly as a heavy SUV on ice, they all go sliding if they weigh too much or too little, if they sit too high, or sometimes too low. Surprisingly my fathers 1986 Oldsmobile custom cruiser station wagon does quite well on ice as long as you don't let the rear of it get away from you. In a smaller vehicle like the Prius though, its going too spin if you cut it wrong. I've seen one them go spinning down the road, hilarious, the driver was in there hitting the brakes trying too make it stop while cutting the wheel in random directions only making it worse. Oh, i hope the heater is electric, 'cause, that lil engine wont get warm enough too keep you warm in the winter, oh, and i hope you have a charging unit for it too, 'cause batteries don't hold well in extreme cold or heat. It doesn't snow much around here in northern virginia, but what slush comes down gets packed and frozen, so, I haven't seen any Prius's in the actual snow, just seen several spun out or wrecked 'cause of ice and an idiot driver. I'm betting the Prius would bottom out in snow easily though. Overall, most smaller vehicles are horrible for up north 'cause of the snow and ice.
        « Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:48:53 AM by Dead_Reckon »

wefr0

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »
        A computer car does it have internet? My dogs chew toy has internet so does my shoes

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
        That's freaky.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
          • Obituary
        « Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
        I am watching this site.I am not trying to go off- topic.

http://www.preignitioncc.com/wjessee/
        Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »

I personally hate overweight planet destroying polluting gas guzzlers and their apologists.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »

I personally hate overweight planet destroying polluting gas guzzlers and their apologists.

HAHAHAHHAHA! yeah, lets see your electric vehicles take you five hundred miles without needing sun or an outlet, ain't no way too build a alternator powerful enough too fit in one that'd charge that mass of batteries, oh, and what happens too the batteries when the car dies? A single battery can cause more pollution than one car in its entire lifetime. Theres, what, a dozen batteries in your electric car? Thanks, but no thanks. I can't even fit half the groceries one person would need for a month in that thing, let alone myself. I'll stick too my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham with its emission less 1979 Oldsmobile 3.8L V6, simple, I can work on it without knowing much, parts are cheap, eats a lil more gas than modern cars, but it lasts WAY longer, the car has not been started in five years, and with a fresh battery, and a fresh tank of gas, that thing would start right up. Yeah, have your electric car man, I'll laugh when it breaks and you realize it'll cost more than you paid for it too fix it.

An electric automobile is a senseless choice of a product, it holds no resale value, and even less scrap value! You can't even GIVE it away when it breaks! They may not produce any emissions, but those batteries cost a fortune too recycle, and create a big mess if they just sit and explode thereafter.  So, yeah, have fun man, have loads of fun dogging that piece of crap too move.

BTW, this is coming from a guy who practically grew up in a scrap yard, I know the difference between economic and another stupid idea, electric cars are another stupid idea.