Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toyota Prius  (Read 18821 times)

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Toyota Prius
    « on: May 14, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »
    I get the impression that this is more computer than car; ergo, I would like to 1.  See if any forum members own a Prius already, 2. and then ask some questions.  We are considering getting one, and the Prius forums I've checked are all pretty gung-ho.  I'm hoping to get a different perspective from this group.  So, if Prius owners wouldn't mind my picking their brains, I'd appreciate any feedback.  Given my glass-half-empty mindset, of course I'd like to know about any problems; but I shan't be disappointed if you all have good things to say as well.  The car will reside in the Detroit, MI area, so mostly urban driving, which is to say that even on the freeways it's stop and go about half the time.  However, it will be used for vacation travel as well (read:  open road) and thus we expect lower mileage than in town.  At this point, I'm not looking for tips and tricks--I believe the Prius forums are loaded with those; I am looking for real-life opinions. 
    Which generation do you own?  How many miles on it?  Would you buy another of the same or current generation?  Why or Why not?  Most annoying feature?  Best feature?  If one is not automatically a computer "whiz", how long is it going to take to understand and operate the computer features on this car?  (Should I get a copy of the o.m. now?)  Are there any other publications out there, besides the shop manual, available for public consumption?  How does it run in extreme climates?  Does performance/mileage go down in the winter?  How does it handle in icy/slippery conditions?  Safety-wise, I see it gets lukewarm reviews--has that been a problem for anyone? 
    Please weigh in with anything else you know about your Prius.  I know how you all hate essay questions, which is what I'm asking of you, and I apologize in advance.  I'm grateful for whatever info you can provide, as usual.
    Regards,
    sv7

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Toyota Prius
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
    My Brother works for a Lexus dealer ( migrated after many years at Toyota) and has had one for about 10 months...i'll call him for a lowdown on his experience wit it and update you...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »
      Thank you.  I look forward to it.
      Regards,
      sv7

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
      I don't own one, but just mentioning that performance goes up in stop and go city driving, because the car runs on it's electrical system, and shuts off the gas engine while it is stopped.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
      I watched a Top Gear episode about the Toyota Prius. Their review was pretty good. I like it, although I don't like the design of the back  :P

There are manymanymanymany of those cars are here in HK
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:38:13 AM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »
      He hasn't had time for a detailed review but he did say getting on a freeway ramp will suprise you a bit...
      Sounds like he likes it so far.

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
        Thanks, Patio.  I hope that's pleasantly surprised...  Any other owner feedback welcome.  Also, anyone know if any of the major car rental co's have some in their fleets?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »
        this site has a lot of good things to say about the prius...

I like to look at the user reviews at cars.yahoo.com too.... http://tinyurl.com/5bz96n

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:35 AM »
        As Toyota is quite confident in this machine and would like it to be successful many Dealers have been qualified for a Try and Buy program so check in your local area.
        You may have to travel a bit but it'll probably be worth the effort.
        This info also came from my busy Brother who still hasn't written me a review yet.... ;D

Dead_reckon

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
        I personally hate hybrid and electric vehicles.

I've seen more Prius's on the curb and in the scrap yard than I've seen driving, some wrecked, some broke down.

Now, mind you, if you get in a wreck in that car, your screwed. Completely, utterly, and totally screwed, you will know what canned tuna feels like. I've seen those cars wrecked, it looks more like a ball of safe-t glass and aluminum scrap than an automobile, research Fiat, in some area's they are selling a vehicle that gets around 40mpg, can't remember the model, but its only around $11,500, about the same size as the prius, but safer, although, it is your choice either way. Fiat is planning on selling automobiles here within the next few years at extremely low prices, they run on gas, and there boasting a 40MPG rating from the factory, one is about the size of a subaru outback, the other a coupe a little bigger than the prius. Both vehicles start at $11,500, if they sell good, Fiat plans too bring in more vehicles, hopefully they'll drive the japanese vehicles out. I'm tired of seeing and hearing honda civic's with 3" exhaust pipes! They sound like the chainsaw from h**l! All three of my neighbors vehicles are japanese imports, one was imported from england, its a civic thats right hand drive, coupe, ain't like the one they sold here, but all of them are LOUD, too loud for any four cylinder, I'll laugh when they burn the valves up.

EDIT: Forgot too mention, a light weight car is going too handle as poorly as a heavy SUV on ice, they all go sliding if they weigh too much or too little, if they sit too high, or sometimes too low. Surprisingly my fathers 1986 Oldsmobile custom cruiser station wagon does quite well on ice as long as you don't let the rear of it get away from you. In a smaller vehicle like the Prius though, its going too spin if you cut it wrong. I've seen one them go spinning down the road, hilarious, the driver was in there hitting the brakes trying too make it stop while cutting the wheel in random directions only making it worse. Oh, i hope the heater is electric, 'cause, that lil engine wont get warm enough too keep you warm in the winter, oh, and i hope you have a charging unit for it too, 'cause batteries don't hold well in extreme cold or heat. It doesn't snow much around here in northern virginia, but what slush comes down gets packed and frozen, so, I haven't seen any Prius's in the actual snow, just seen several spun out or wrecked 'cause of ice and an idiot driver. I'm betting the Prius would bottom out in snow easily though. Overall, most smaller vehicles are horrible for up north 'cause of the snow and ice.
        « Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:48:53 AM by Dead_Reckon »

wefr0

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »
        A computer car does it have internet? My dogs chew toy has internet so does my shoes

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
        That's freaky.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
          • Obituary
        « Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
        I am watching this site.I am not trying to go off- topic.

http://www.preignitioncc.com/wjessee/
        Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »

I personally hate overweight planet destroying polluting gas guzzlers and their apologists.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »

I personally hate overweight planet destroying polluting gas guzzlers and their apologists.

HAHAHAHHAHA! yeah, lets see your electric vehicles take you five hundred miles without needing sun or an outlet, ain't no way too build a alternator powerful enough too fit in one that'd charge that mass of batteries, oh, and what happens too the batteries when the car dies? A single battery can cause more pollution than one car in its entire lifetime. Theres, what, a dozen batteries in your electric car? Thanks, but no thanks. I can't even fit half the groceries one person would need for a month in that thing, let alone myself. I'll stick too my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham with its emission less 1979 Oldsmobile 3.8L V6, simple, I can work on it without knowing much, parts are cheap, eats a lil more gas than modern cars, but it lasts WAY longer, the car has not been started in five years, and with a fresh battery, and a fresh tank of gas, that thing would start right up. Yeah, have your electric car man, I'll laugh when it breaks and you realize it'll cost more than you paid for it too fix it.

An electric automobile is a senseless choice of a product, it holds no resale value, and even less scrap value! You can't even GIVE it away when it breaks! They may not produce any emissions, but those batteries cost a fortune too recycle, and create a big mess if they just sit and explode thereafter.  So, yeah, have fun man, have loads of fun dogging that piece of crap too move.

BTW, this is coming from a guy who practically grew up in a scrap yard, I know the difference between economic and another stupid idea, electric cars are another stupid idea.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
          • Obituary
        « Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
        So,....What is a golf cart ? :o :o :o :o Fine new invention.

Fred Flintstone will love it.
        Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
        I wouldn't take an observation on dead Prius's or bad drivers in inclement weather as an objective review on how a car performs.
        I also would'nt compare a hybrid vehicle to a '79 Olds more than i would compare a Quad-Core Pentium to a 386 machine even if it had an onboard math co-processor installed...
        This sounds like an apple and oranges comparison along with a few sour grapes thrown into the discussion...

The above is merely opinion on my part....

Dias de verano

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 12:12:19 AM »
        I can't even fit half the groceries one person would need for a month in that thing, let alone myself. I'll stick too my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham with its emission less 1979 Oldsmobile 3.8L V6

You Americans make me laugh when you spout all that dumb motorhead stuff. Screw the planet. eh?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
        I wouldn't take an observation on dead Prius's or bad drivers in inclement weather as an objective review on how a car performs.
        I also would'nt compare a hybrid vehicle to a '79 Olds more than i would compare a Quad-Core Pentium to a 386 machine even if it had an onboard math co-processor installed...
        This sounds like an apple and oranges comparison along with a few sour grapes thrown into the discussion...

The above is merely opinion on my part....

That's what I was thinking.... but you're a little more tactful. ;)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
        You Americans make me laugh when you spout all that dumb motorhead stuff. Screw the planet. eh?

Yes, and we thank everyone else for subsidizing our lifestyle!  ;)

(It's an unwritten rule that if you have to explain the joke, it's not funny, but I hope you understand I'm attempting irony.   :o)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
        So,....What is a golf cart ? :o :o :o :o Fine new invention.

Fred Flintstone will love it.

My point exactly, If i wanted fuel saving, I'd get me a motor cycle, which I intend too do later on. I'm not using a freaking computerized golf cart as a primary source of transport.

My question is this; In the event of a natural disaster, where there is no power too charge your car, what do you do? What do you do if your injured, can make it too the hospital, but require a car too get there and your automobiles batteries are dead, and you wont last long enough for the ambulance too get there?

As of current, having an internal combustion engine is the best option in almost all cases, around here, its too mountainous for that car, sure, I'd much rather be running a clean fuel than gas, as long as its as reliable as gasoline, or more so, and too the tree hugger here, I'll soon be converting my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham too Ethanol, don't worry, stuff runs clean. Too put it simply, I'm old fashioned, I hate most newer automobiles. I like a vehicle I can depend on. My car has not been started in nearly five years, but with a fresh tank of gas, and a fresh battery, it'd fire right up.

Let me tell you this, they tried electric cars in the 70's, my mother and aunt rented one, they HATED that car, technology has changed, but electricity stays the same, inevitably, hydrogen, and electricity are illogical power sources for automobiles.

Logically, gasoline is the only reliable choice as of current, I like too be prepared if/when things happen, rather than live thinking nothing will. So, for now, I'll just get my cutlass road worthy and stick too it, drive it until the 3.8L V6 kicks it, then rebuild it too support ethanol.

And on a final note, patio, you really don't get my point. My point IS just what you stated, there is no comparing the engine that drives my car; the 231 cubic inch 3.8L Oldsmobile V6 built in 1979 too an electric automobile because when you come down too it, twenty years from now, my car will still be running, that electric car will have been recycled into things a hundred times over if not more, I prefer what is proven, durable, and what is logical. That, and of course, what I can work on.

Oh, and don't confuse my engine for the Buick fireball motor, that is a common mistake in history, and it is completely untrue that the Buick division of general motors created the 231, Chevrolet created the 231, not Buick, and no matter what, General Motors out sells all of your little ricer cars running about, they are the number one automobile sales company in the world.

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
        Oh, and don't confuse my engine for the Buick fireball motor, that is a common mistake in history, and it is completely untrue that the Buick division of general motors created the 231, Chevrolet created the 231, not Buick, and no matter what, General Motors out sells all of your little ricer cars running about, they are the number one automobile sales company in the world.

A petrolhead as we say around here.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
        Interesting to me that electric (and steam) cars were the first to be invented...

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:36:11 AM »
        ..... and now we're trying to go back to it. History repeats itself. Who knows, maybe in 30 years, we'll be back to gasoline.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
        No, we need to use renewable sources for our transportation needs.  We need the petrochemicals for plastics, etc.  We need better public transportation, in most cases.  It's a shame the government did nothing, decades ago,  when the auto industry was allowed to buy out public transport systems and shut them down.

I've not talked to a single Prius owner who was unhappy with their car.
        « Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:52:09 PM by Aegis »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 01:47:06 PM »
        Electricity the last time i checked is not a renewable power source...somewhere some coal is being burned to produce it.

I walk most everywhere except to my Customers which are normally too far.
        Bicycle if feasible and or public transportation which is so unreliable it should be outlawed or rebuilt from scratch...

But before i get labeled i also blow thru fair weather in a convertible whenever possible...sometimes with the AC full blast just because i can and i could care less what kind of gas mileage i get.

Dias de verano

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
        A Prius is much cheaper to run than a similar size petrol ("gasoline") fuelled car, but then so is a diesel. Both will save a considerable amount of money over (say) 3 years.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
        No, I grant you that electricity is not renewable; or it is renewable to the extent of the method by which it is generated.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
        it's sort of renewable around my part of the world. All of the electricity I get comes from dams.

Dias de verano

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
        it's sort of renewable around my part of the world. All of the electricity I get comes from dams.

"White Coal"

Dead_reckon

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
        Wow, some of you are really missing the point here. The entire point of my argument is ROI, return of investment. Sure, gas cost an arm, leg, and often a kidney these days, but soon we'll be running ethanol, which, I will be converting my cutlass too, electric cars failed in the early days, they failed in the 70's, they will fail again. Steam was chosen over electricity way back when for one reason: Cost effectiveness, and simplicity. Internal combustion engine replaced steam engines for similar reasons, electricity is simply illogical at the moment unless you make some sort of fusion reactor or a perfect looping system that somehow powers the car while charging it, which, is currently impossible. I have asked many people I know who specialize in automobiles, and electricity, both say, there is currently, and likely will not be for a long time, any way too make an electric car charge and power its self without there being sunlight, and a lot of of it. That is, unless you want an electric car the size of a Ford Excursion that has a whopping top speed of roughly 10-20mph, frankly, I like things that go fast.

Another point of my argument is that, by the time I get my car on the road, ethanol will be available, at least somewhat, enough so I can easily rebuild my 3.8 and have a cheap fuel. Really, what makes you think that emissions really matter when the world is usually setting off enough explosives in one day too make all the electric cars in the world pointless? Not too mention natural green house gases, either way, the earth is going too keep getting hotter, sooner or later, preferably later, but, with human nature, its going too be sooner sadly. Worry less about things that wouldn't matter if you lived 100 life times, and more about the things that matter in this lifetime man, you only live once, but if you wish too live you're life criticizing everything, so be it.  Then again, you probably live in a place where they still manufacture SEAT's, sad automobiles they are..

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
        There's a lot of controversy about the "greeness" and efficiency of ethanol...I'm given to understand that even the University of Nebraska has issued cautionary language regarding ethanol's efficacy.  (I've not yet researched this.)

I suspect that, as with many things in this world, that a multifaceted approach will work best.  Perhaps electric vehicles will be best for certain applications, combustion vehicles for others.

I understand what you're saying when you suggest we implement solutions which are best for our lifetimes, but we must be willing to look ahead, and provide for the generations to come.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
        Eh, I figure it isn't going too be much longer before the downhill slide America has been in since the 70's leads too a crash, probably another depression, I'm just judging by price inflation being one cause of a depression before, that and a lack of work, thanks too the illegals in this country, there is a large lack of work, so either way, I'd rather be prepared for my own future.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »
        Yes, DR, as much as I desperately want to disagree with your last post; alas, I cannot.

Dias de verano

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
        thanks too the illegals in this country, there is a large lack of work

::)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 11:22:12 PM »
        thanks too the illegals in this country, there is a large lack of work

All right, I suppose I didn't give that enough consideration.  It's a messy area...and lots of emotions on both sides of the issue.  Illegal immigrants are certainly not the sole cause of our woes, but employers do choose to pay less and cut corners, which contributes overall to the problems we have.  The cliche has become, "Illegal immigrants do the work others won't do" but it is more accurate to say they do the work because employers will no longer pay the wages they used to pay to have the work performed.

Dias de verano

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33:18 PM »
        lots of emotions on both sides of the issue.

In which case facts are a better guide.

You really want to be a pool cleaner?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »
        Do I really want to be a pool cleaner?  No...but it's no longer those ancillary jobs "that no one else" wants to do.  Food service, construction, factory work.

It's not so much that the physical work is "beneath" me, but it's that I worked in offices for twenty-six years.  I'm a little long in the tooth to pretend I can go around doing physical work. 

I realize my examples are anecdotal.  I've talked to parents where I used to live who say their teenage kids have a hard time getting the summer jobs at fast food places and other retailers because those establishments have turned to using a full-time labor force which, shall we say, derives from other sources.

I was in a job where I had to verify age for sale of tobacco and liquor.  I saw my fair share of identification issued by the consulate of our neighbor to the south.

I have no truck with anyone coming here to the US on a path to legal citizenship.  (Goodness knows we weren't kindly to immigrants of the past, but they certainly managed to not lose their respective heritages, and stand up and say, "I am an American!")

In the meantime, too much of the "high tech" work which so many of us trained for, or retrained for, in the 80's and 90's has disappeared...

The next time someone suggests I go to H**l, I'm going to shrug and reply, "Sorry, I've already worked in telecommunications."

Dias de verano

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 11:53:06 PM »
        I have strong views on this topic, and it is probably better if I do not say too much. I would put the blame for America's ills somewhat north of the border, round about Washington DC.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
        I would put the blame for America's ills somewhat north of the border, round about Washington DC.

Agreed!

Dias de verano

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »
        I would put the blame for America's ills somewhat north of the border, round about Washington DC.

Agreed!

:)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »
        So illegal aliens will have a determining effect on whether he selects a Prius ? ?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »
        No.

We allowed ourselves to become a bit sidetracked, as may happen in the course of a conversation.

I recognize this is a forum of a particular emphasis, and am more than willing to abide by forum rules, social conventions, and the Golden Rule.

I suppose, if I really wanted, I could find other forums upon which I could vent my opinions and frustrations. 

Having stated that, we do not exist in a vacuum, so I allow myself the indulgence of a bit of leeway, every now and again.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
        I was simply making an observation...

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
        No, I understand, Patio.

The thing about the Prius, and other hybrids, is that it's a response to a market demand.  Perhaps having more models on the market, undergoing extensive beta testing, will allow more breakthroughs.

I remember the stories, growing up, about suppressed technologies.  There were supposed to be carburetors that could generate seventy-five or one hundred fifty miles per gallon.

There's a lot that could or should be dismissed out of hand, except in American politics, we have lobbyists working full time and bringing lots of money to the table to advance their particular issues and positions.

Given that kind of action in our government, it becomes far too easy to start imagining things, and conspiracy theories abound.

I do admire the hybrid owners for embracing the new technology.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
        I'll have to admit that the sometimes twisted illogical actions of Elected Officials give tons of fodder for the Theorists...
        However that happens in any Democracy.
        The people that are interested in the new technology are certainly driving the market right now which illustrates one of the brighter sides of how Capitalism actually works...people will buy what they want not neccessarily just what's being produced.
        It's just a shame more consumers are unaware of this little detail.

BTW according to the latest statistics these are the largest by dollar investors in hydrogen fuel-cell technology in order in the U.S.

1) the Government.

2) The automobile manuf. ( a collective # )

3 The oil companies.

patio.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
        Pretty cool.  I mean, our need for oil isn't going to disappear.  Even if all our fuel needs were met by other sources, we use more and more plastics, anyway.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »
        Actually, there are fuel systems that CAN allow a carb based system like my fathers 1986 Oldsmobile station wagon running a 307 big block olds V8 too get around 80 miles per gallon, the blueprints too do such too a ford pickup in the 80's where sold too Exxon I believe. I don't remember the full story behind it, but, I do know that sometime in the 80's a man converted a ford truck too some sort of crazy fuel system, got 80mpg or so if I remember correctly, I'll do some research and tell what I find.

On another note, the key reason why this country keeps crashing is because of greed. The idiots up in the white house are too busy lining there pockets too care about the rest of us, or the rest of the world for that matter. The oil projects in Africa that you don't hear about would be one good example. Fact is, only 30% of our oil comes from the middle east.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #48 on: June 01, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
        Good points, DR!

Yes, unfortunately, Washington, D.C. is the source of many of our woes.  I don't expect perfection, and one can't satisfy all the people all the time, but there's too much going on which really does come down to avarice and greed.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »
        I couldn't find anything on the truck, I'll ask my father if he can find an article on it. I know that if you build an engine right, you can get decent fuel mileage, Example being again, my fathers 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, which, with the onboard computer system for the carb mostly removed, along with various emissions, which backdates the engine too the 1980 model 307, it gets around 20 miles per gallon. Originally it got around 10.

Now, mind you, this is a vehicle that weighs about 4100lbs, and has about 200-400lbs of random stuff loaded in it usually, plus my father, who weighs around 210lbs, this vehicle is also running a Oldsmobile 307 cubic inch 5.0L big block four barrel V8, getting 20 miles per gallon out of that engine is quite good, especially since the engine has had things removed, rather than added too get that millage. The engine came stock with a computerized carburetor, distributor, and a few emission controls with sensors, after removing the emission controls and sensors by using parts from a 1980 model engine somewhat, the car went from a sluggish tank, too a rather efficient and quick utility vehicle. We plan too remove the computerized distributor and the carburetor soon, and replace them with older non-computerized ones, there built too the 1980 factory specs. Entirely legal, since it is technically like dropping an engine four years older than the car in it, here the limit is five years older.

My point is, that, if a cars fuel mileage can be increased by simply removing a smog pump, and a deer antler emission hose system by about 10-12 miles per gallon, what could you get out of completely re-designing the fuel system? I mean, if you re-design a cars coolant or exhaust system, you can often get anywhere from two too four times as much efficiency out of the motor.  Now a days you can have the computer reprogrammed in your car and double, triple, or sometimes even quadruple the performance and fuel mileage.

My simple point being, I believe the technology we should focus on is the older technologies that all of our fuel consuming devices are built on, such as the internal combustion engine, it has so much potential without fuel injection, without all these plastic parts and cheap aluminum blocks, what you need is durability and a properly built vehicle, not something that lasts maybe five years then falls apart almost as comically as one would expect a cartoon automobile too do. Honestly, do you think that a Prius would be here three years from now? Five? I highly doubt it. I know my Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham is mechanically capable of being used for at least another twenty years, simply because parts will almost always be available , or rebuild able.

I mean, sure, the cast iron engine in my car is a bit comical, I'll have too do some modifications too it too get the performance, and fuel mileage I want out of it, but thats worth the work, considering it'll only need minor work for the most part. They gear everything now-a-days too be throw away from the way its built internally, too the way its all assembled under the hood. Which, the entire reason I will never own a automobile with a year model past about 1990 unless I intend too get it cheap enough too junk it when something like the transmission dies.

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Toyota Prius--Update
          « Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
          Picked mine up today.  Will spend lots of quality time w/o.m. re-learning how to drive.  Made it home from dealership w/HUGE smile on my face.  The feel of drive-by-wire steering is different from the rack-and-pinion I'm used to, as is the shifter, also DBW.  Have lurked on a couple of Prius owner forums/blogs the past few weeks so now I know what they've been talking about.  The mid-dash display is a wee bit distracting, what with the continuous flow of info about power and mpg.  May cure me of my lead foot, yet!  Might have to cover it, though as it IS distracting in rush hour.  If you all wish, I can post occasional updates here.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  (OK, it is an unattractive car, but it's MY uggy car!)  Thanks for your input of earlier, I appreciate the feedback.
          Regards,
          sv7

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »
          Yes, please keep us posted on your experiences!  Congratulations on the acquisition.  I hope things go well!

michaewlewis

Intermediate
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »
          I just ran across these articles about the prius and it's greenliness. An interesting read, at least.
          http://www.slate.com/id/2186786/
          http://www.slate.com/id/2194989/?y=1

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
          I heard they stopped making Hummers.

Dias de verano

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
          I heard they stopped making Hummers.

The future of the Hummer brand is in doubt. On Tuesday 3 June 2008, one day prior to GM's annual shareholder meeting, CEO Rick Wagoner said the brand is being reviewed, and has the possibility of either being sold, having the production line completely redesigned, or being discontinued.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #55 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
          I would like to see the Hummer HX though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/detroit-2008-hummer-hx-concept/

Pure off-road vehicle.