Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toyota Prius  (Read 18530 times)

Dead_reckon

Re: Toyota Prius
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
Wow, some of you are really missing the point here. The entire point of my argument is ROI, return of investment. Sure, gas cost an arm, leg, and often a kidney these days, but soon we'll be running ethanol, which, I will be converting my cutlass too, electric cars failed in the early days, they failed in the 70's, they will fail again. Steam was chosen over electricity way back when for one reason: Cost effectiveness, and simplicity. Internal combustion engine replaced steam engines for similar reasons, electricity is simply illogical at the moment unless you make some sort of fusion reactor or a perfect looping system that somehow powers the car while charging it, which, is currently impossible. I have asked many people I know who specialize in automobiles, and electricity, both say, there is currently, and likely will not be for a long time, any way too make an electric car charge and power its self without there being sunlight, and a lot of of it. That is, unless you want an electric car the size of a Ford Excursion that has a whopping top speed of roughly 10-20mph, frankly, I like things that go fast.

Another point of my argument is that, by the time I get my car on the road, ethanol will be available, at least somewhat, enough so I can easily rebuild my 3.8 and have a cheap fuel. Really, what makes you think that emissions really matter when the world is usually setting off enough explosives in one day too make all the electric cars in the world pointless? Not too mention natural green house gases, either way, the earth is going too keep getting hotter, sooner or later, preferably later, but, with human nature, its going too be sooner sadly. Worry less about things that wouldn't matter if you lived 100 life times, and more about the things that matter in this lifetime man, you only live once, but if you wish too live you're life criticizing everything, so be it.  Then again, you probably live in a place where they still manufacture SEAT's, sad automobiles they are..

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
There's a lot of controversy about the "greeness" and efficiency of ethanol...I'm given to understand that even the University of Nebraska has issued cautionary language regarding ethanol's efficacy.  (I've not yet researched this.)

I suspect that, as with many things in this world, that a multifaceted approach will work best.  Perhaps electric vehicles will be best for certain applications, combustion vehicles for others.

I understand what you're saying when you suggest we implement solutions which are best for our lifetimes, but we must be willing to look ahead, and provide for the generations to come.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Dead_reckon

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
Eh, I figure it isn't going too be much longer before the downhill slide America has been in since the 70's leads too a crash, probably another depression, I'm just judging by price inflation being one cause of a depression before, that and a lack of work, thanks too the illegals in this country, there is a large lack of work, so either way, I'd rather be prepared for my own future.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »
Yes, DR, as much as I desperately want to disagree with your last post; alas, I cannot.

Dias de verano

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
thanks too the illegals in this country, there is a large lack of work

::)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 11:22:12 PM »
thanks too the illegals in this country, there is a large lack of work

All right, I suppose I didn't give that enough consideration.  It's a messy area...and lots of emotions on both sides of the issue.  Illegal immigrants are certainly not the sole cause of our woes, but employers do choose to pay less and cut corners, which contributes overall to the problems we have.  The cliche has become, "Illegal immigrants do the work others won't do" but it is more accurate to say they do the work because employers will no longer pay the wages they used to pay to have the work performed.

Dias de verano

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33:18 PM »
lots of emotions on both sides of the issue.

In which case facts are a better guide.

You really want to be a pool cleaner?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »
Do I really want to be a pool cleaner?  No...but it's no longer those ancillary jobs "that no one else" wants to do.  Food service, construction, factory work.

It's not so much that the physical work is "beneath" me, but it's that I worked in offices for twenty-six years.  I'm a little long in the tooth to pretend I can go around doing physical work. 

I realize my examples are anecdotal.  I've talked to parents where I used to live who say their teenage kids have a hard time getting the summer jobs at fast food places and other retailers because those establishments have turned to using a full-time labor force which, shall we say, derives from other sources.

I was in a job where I had to verify age for sale of tobacco and liquor.  I saw my fair share of identification issued by the consulate of our neighbor to the south.

I have no truck with anyone coming here to the US on a path to legal citizenship.  (Goodness knows we weren't kindly to immigrants of the past, but they certainly managed to not lose their respective heritages, and stand up and say, "I am an American!")

In the meantime, too much of the "high tech" work which so many of us trained for, or retrained for, in the 80's and 90's has disappeared...

The next time someone suggests I go to H**l, I'm going to shrug and reply, "Sorry, I've already worked in telecommunications."

Dias de verano

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 11:53:06 PM »
I have strong views on this topic, and it is probably better if I do not say too much. I would put the blame for America's ills somewhat north of the border, round about Washington DC.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
I would put the blame for America's ills somewhat north of the border, round about Washington DC.

Agreed!

Dias de verano

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »
I would put the blame for America's ills somewhat north of the border, round about Washington DC.

Agreed!

:)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 09:30:16 AM »
So illegal aliens will have a determining effect on whether he selects a Prius ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »
No.

We allowed ourselves to become a bit sidetracked, as may happen in the course of a conversation.

I recognize this is a forum of a particular emphasis, and am more than willing to abide by forum rules, social conventions, and the Golden Rule.

I suppose, if I really wanted, I could find other forums upon which I could vent my opinions and frustrations. 

Having stated that, we do not exist in a vacuum, so I allow myself the indulgence of a bit of leeway, every now and again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
I was simply making an observation...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
No, I understand, Patio.

The thing about the Prius, and other hybrids, is that it's a response to a market demand.  Perhaps having more models on the market, undergoing extensive beta testing, will allow more breakthroughs.

I remember the stories, growing up, about suppressed technologies.  There were supposed to be carburetors that could generate seventy-five or one hundred fifty miles per gallon.

There's a lot that could or should be dismissed out of hand, except in American politics, we have lobbyists working full time and bringing lots of money to the table to advance their particular issues and positions.

Given that kind of action in our government, it becomes far too easy to start imagining things, and conspiracy theories abound.

I do admire the hybrid owners for embracing the new technology.