Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toyota Prius  (Read 18516 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Toyota Prius
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
I'll have to admit that the sometimes twisted illogical actions of Elected Officials give tons of fodder for the Theorists...
However that happens in any Democracy.
The people that are interested in the new technology are certainly driving the market right now which illustrates one of the brighter sides of how Capitalism actually works...people will buy what they want not neccessarily just what's being produced.
It's just a shame more consumers are unaware of this little detail.

BTW according to the latest statistics these are the largest by dollar investors in hydrogen fuel-cell technology in order in the U.S.

1) the Government.

2) The automobile manuf. ( a collective # )

3 The oil companies.

patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
Pretty cool.  I mean, our need for oil isn't going to disappear.  Even if all our fuel needs were met by other sources, we use more and more plastics, anyway.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Dead_reckon

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »
Actually, there are fuel systems that CAN allow a carb based system like my fathers 1986 Oldsmobile station wagon running a 307 big block olds V8 too get around 80 miles per gallon, the blueprints too do such too a ford pickup in the 80's where sold too Exxon I believe. I don't remember the full story behind it, but, I do know that sometime in the 80's a man converted a ford truck too some sort of crazy fuel system, got 80mpg or so if I remember correctly, I'll do some research and tell what I find.

On another note, the key reason why this country keeps crashing is because of greed. The idiots up in the white house are too busy lining there pockets too care about the rest of us, or the rest of the world for that matter. The oil projects in Africa that you don't hear about would be one good example. Fact is, only 30% of our oil comes from the middle east.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
Good points, DR!

Yes, unfortunately, Washington, D.C. is the source of many of our woes.  I don't expect perfection, and one can't satisfy all the people all the time, but there's too much going on which really does come down to avarice and greed.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2008, 07:40:09 PM »
I couldn't find anything on the truck, I'll ask my father if he can find an article on it. I know that if you build an engine right, you can get decent fuel mileage, Example being again, my fathers 1986 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, which, with the onboard computer system for the carb mostly removed, along with various emissions, which backdates the engine too the 1980 model 307, it gets around 20 miles per gallon. Originally it got around 10.

Now, mind you, this is a vehicle that weighs about 4100lbs, and has about 200-400lbs of random stuff loaded in it usually, plus my father, who weighs around 210lbs, this vehicle is also running a Oldsmobile 307 cubic inch 5.0L big block four barrel V8, getting 20 miles per gallon out of that engine is quite good, especially since the engine has had things removed, rather than added too get that millage. The engine came stock with a computerized carburetor, distributor, and a few emission controls with sensors, after removing the emission controls and sensors by using parts from a 1980 model engine somewhat, the car went from a sluggish tank, too a rather efficient and quick utility vehicle. We plan too remove the computerized distributor and the carburetor soon, and replace them with older non-computerized ones, there built too the 1980 factory specs. Entirely legal, since it is technically like dropping an engine four years older than the car in it, here the limit is five years older.

My point is, that, if a cars fuel mileage can be increased by simply removing a smog pump, and a deer antler emission hose system by about 10-12 miles per gallon, what could you get out of completely re-designing the fuel system? I mean, if you re-design a cars coolant or exhaust system, you can often get anywhere from two too four times as much efficiency out of the motor.  Now a days you can have the computer reprogrammed in your car and double, triple, or sometimes even quadruple the performance and fuel mileage.

My simple point being, I believe the technology we should focus on is the older technologies that all of our fuel consuming devices are built on, such as the internal combustion engine, it has so much potential without fuel injection, without all these plastic parts and cheap aluminum blocks, what you need is durability and a properly built vehicle, not something that lasts maybe five years then falls apart almost as comically as one would expect a cartoon automobile too do. Honestly, do you think that a Prius would be here three years from now? Five? I highly doubt it. I know my Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham is mechanically capable of being used for at least another twenty years, simply because parts will almost always be available , or rebuild able.

I mean, sure, the cast iron engine in my car is a bit comical, I'll have too do some modifications too it too get the performance, and fuel mileage I want out of it, but thats worth the work, considering it'll only need minor work for the most part. They gear everything now-a-days too be throw away from the way its built internally, too the way its all assembled under the hood. Which, the entire reason I will never own a automobile with a year model past about 1990 unless I intend too get it cheap enough too junk it when something like the transmission dies.

sv7

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Toyota Prius--Update
    « Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
    Picked mine up today.  Will spend lots of quality time w/o.m. re-learning how to drive.  Made it home from dealership w/HUGE smile on my face.  The feel of drive-by-wire steering is different from the rack-and-pinion I'm used to, as is the shifter, also DBW.  Have lurked on a couple of Prius owner forums/blogs the past few weeks so now I know what they've been talking about.  The mid-dash display is a wee bit distracting, what with the continuous flow of info about power and mpg.  May cure me of my lead foot, yet!  Might have to cover it, though as it IS distracting in rush hour.  If you all wish, I can post occasional updates here.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  (OK, it is an unattractive car, but it's MY uggy car!)  Thanks for your input of earlier, I appreciate the feedback.
    Regards,
    sv7

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »
    Yes, please keep us posted on your experiences!  Congratulations on the acquisition.  I hope things go well!

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »
    I just ran across these articles about the prius and it's greenliness. An interesting read, at least.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2186786/
    http://www.slate.com/id/2194989/?y=1

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
    I heard they stopped making Hummers.

Dias de verano

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
    I heard they stopped making Hummers.

The future of the Hummer brand is in doubt. On Tuesday 3 June 2008, one day prior to GM's annual shareholder meeting, CEO Rick Wagoner said the brand is being reviewed, and has the possibility of either being sold, having the production line completely redesigned, or being discontinued.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #55 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
    I would like to see the Hummer HX though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/08/detroit-2008-hummer-hx-concept/

Pure off-road vehicle.